• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which is better to do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think it depends your cooling design. If you've done everything with a closed case in mind (ex. : air intake in front bottom and a good air flow with hot air getting out rear top of the case) it might be better to close it. If you do like me and many other people, I mean leaving the case always open for many purpose, you might consider changing a bit the air flow in your case. In fact, if you want to be sure... just test both solutions !

Good luck,

++

try running it with side panel open and then close
see which gives you better cooling

like waht Thomas Olivaux said, if you have a good airflow you wouldnt see much of a diff between the two

Oh, it seems that i have some pretty bad ventilation then. When i leave it closed the temps go from 43-45C and when it is open, they only go from 39-42C. Those are idle to load temps btw.

nah, mine is just a pali... My temps run about mid 40's to low 50's when i am doing some massive computing....

At idle it sits around 34c and it rarely gets over like 46c.

I use the TR SLK 900u and i have seen no problems...

Last edited:
This means that some CPU have a greater overclocking potential than others, even if they are sold with the same name. For exemple, some Athlon XP 1800+ don't overclock more than about 100 MHz (especially TBird) and some goes really far (recent TBreds). If you want more details, you should read more, and ask what you want in CPU forums :)

++

Thanx, I couldn't have said it any better!!! It is always a good idea to learn the best stepping codes for the product you intend to buy, that way you know which are the best for overclocking....

You can always look here at the forums and get a good idea of the processor with the right stepping that you want...

sup3rcarrx8 said:
Is it better to leave the case open or leave it closed when overclocking?

I think ultimately it's better to have the case closed. It's the way it is meant to be run, plus it protects the system from dust, and miscellaneous flying objects that might otherwise find themselves lodged between the fins of your brand new Tornado.

As explained though, you need sufficient airflow in order to keep your case temp within a few degrees of room temp. If you don't have that kind of cooling you should either review the efficiency of your case airflow and improve on it, or invest in some new/better fans.

If the o/c is the most important thing to you, and you don't care about having it off, there's no real reason why you can't. But test in both situations.

If you have alot of case fans, bringing air in from the front and having more fans blow it out the back then closed case may be best,,,,
BUT
If your cpu has a fan ontop of it, it's hard for it to get the cool air outside outside the case to blow on the cpu... so opening my case in this situation, my cpu temp drops 3-4 degrees in just minutes,,,,

btw,, i have my case off but now have a big fan about the same size as my computer blowing in,,, MUCH cooler than the cpu fan alone,,, plus,, having a big fan blowing on the whole motherboard, the MB temps dropped like 5 degrees,,, c

just a suggestion,, some people think it's getto..

Back