• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I trust the internal Intel temp ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thomas Olivaux

Registered
Hello !

I wish to know if the internal CPU temp of the Pentium 4 processor is accurate. If you remember, I was speaking about 55/60° idle and 60/65° load a few days ago at 3.06 GHz (170 FSB) with my strange small freezes problem. I made some testings... and overclocking... and now, I'm running writing this post at 3.24 GHz (180 FSB). When I go to Sandra 2003 to read the internal temp reported by the P4, I've got now around 48/50° idle and only 55° under load... running 180 MHz higher !! What's happening ?

Sorry if this post is not in the right forum... I speak about temps, but it may be in the CPU forum... modos, just do what you want :)

Thanks a lot,

++

Unfortunately, even with the Pentium 4 chips that have their own thermal detection circuitry, the reading is still done by the BIOS (if you look at BIOS temps and/or 3rd party programs like MBM5, that is). This has the effect of introducing a large measurement error, sometimes of ridiculous sizes (as the Abit's boards' reputation has it).

So in short- no, you cannot trust the _absolute_ temperature measurement. You may stake more on reproducable temp differences, though. Another option is to look at the temps other users with similar setup report who are using your particular board as well.

Thx guys :)

In fact, my mobo is an Abit lol... a IT7-Max2. I pushed to 185 FSB stable since this morning, and the temp is not higher than at 170 FSB... strange :p

++

Back