• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there a way to get rid of a virus without reformatting?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TUK101

I ran Trend Micro's free online virus scan last night and it turns out that I have two virus's on my comp. One of them said that it was a worm and that it could not be removed. Is there any other way to get rid of this "worm" other than reformatting? I guess that I probably recieved this virus by opening an email or something that I shouldnt have. I do not run an anti-virus program, but will now think of doing so.

Pretty much all "Worms" can be removed w/o reinstalling Windows.

The good part is that Worm Removal Tools are free.

The bad part is that each tools is usually Worn specific so I have to know What worm is it?

You could download AVG Anti-Virus System , a couple of times when I had a virus/worm I downloaded AVG and it fixed it. I agree with the other guys too , do a search for the worm name and you should get some information on how to get rid of it.BitDefender , is good for finding out info usually.

Hope This Helps.

The bad thing is that I cant remember the name of the worm. And it took me about 2 hours do dl that freaking program and run it all the way through. I think that reinstalling windows might be my best bet anyhow since it has been about 9 months since my last install. Thanks for the tips and if I change my mind I will be checking back here for more advice.

If you are just going to reinstall windows make sure you run a

"fixmbr" command when you format and before you install windows just incase the worm is resident in the MBR

Well good news. I reran the virus scanner and it didnt detect anything. I hope that it is gone. I dont know what else to do besides trying another virus scanner. I am too cheap to buy one lol.

I ues the following, not in to paying for software so they are all free (at least for as long as you need them) and they work as well or better than commercial products.

Virus Scanner - AVG Free Edition
Firewall - Kerio Free or Tiny Free
Firewall 2nd option - Zone Alarm Free
Trojan Removal 1 - TDS-3 (shareware)
Trojan Removal 2 - The Cleaner

You can also get free trojan removal tools by searching the virus archives at either symantec or mcafee too. Good luck.

Back