• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is cyclopentane bad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Turando

i am about to rip apart a freezer and the foam is polyurethane with cyclopentane. is it ok for me to handle and disturb the foam? as in rip it apart?

Cheers, TUrando

should be fine, unless its "foam, cyclopentane" (e.g. foam and then SEPERATE pentane solution or something) instead of "cyclopentane polyurethane" ... all that means is that its a really long hydrocarbon chain which means nothing...

so,.. it should be fine, though you'd want something to place it afterwards though....

fubulg600, please stay off this post you ibvously do not know what you are saying. fafnir, yes its polyurethane foam with cyclopentane, so its ok for me to handle? how would i go about disposing of it though?

Cheers, Turando

wear gloves if you're really nervous... but personally, i wouldn't give a ****... (e.g. touching old lead based paint in an old house is NOT going to give you lead poisoning..etc... though eating LOTS of it might, but its still one hell of a trip) but just don't do the crazy stuff like it if breaks off into dust inhale the dust or something... (the foam, that is)

which means you might wanna do it outside...

you *could* get gasoline in a pan and dump all the foam into the pan with the gasoline which will melt right into the gasoline for some residue which looks, feels, and proally acts just like napalm... though i don't think it is, but its still kinda fun to light some flammable bubble gum on fire... using the same gasoline to clean the parts of foam stuck onto the compressor should also be fine, though you'd wanna hose it down afterwards and then soap and hose down again and let it dry fully first... and for the pieces of bubble gum string thats left, duct tape will remove em' if you know how...

or you *could* just rip the foam off and throw it into the recycle-bles bin if you got one and let "them" take care of it, which i'm sure "they" will...

lol, you sound the exact same as me, the last one i stripped down was the same i think, but older:eek: and i just did it with bear hands..either way, its gonna be done;). i was talking to someone about it 2day and they said setting fire to it would actually double the moles of the consentration haha so having fun burning it might be out fo the question.;) thanks for reply

Cheers, Turando

According to this report, the disposal of this foam poses no real health risks...I'd still wear a dust mask for protection and keep in mind the risk of fire...
Check it out here...
http://www.arap.org/adlittle-1999/4.html

4.2.6.1 Disposal Safety

HFC refrigerants and foam blowing agents do not pose any significant hazards at disposal. Fire safety needs to be taken into account when disposing of a hydrocarbon refrigerator design. If the cabinet is shredded, hydrocarbon blowing agent can be released (even as most is retained in the foam) to form a flammable mixture in air.

thanks dago, i think it will be ok, we have a harmful waste disposal somewhere around here so i will chuck it there way, Literally;)

hrm.. im sure theres DEFINATLY somthing not safe with disposing of fridges like that, in england at least it costs 30 pounds to dispose of a fridge and by LAW you have to dispose of it at your local reciclying place etc.

er.. may wanna check if what your doing is even leagle first.

hrm.. im sure theres DEFINATLY somthing not safe with disposing of fridges like that, in england at least it costs 30 pounds to dispose of a fridge and by LAW you have to dispose of it at your local reciclying place etc.

er.. may wanna check if what your doing is even leagle first.

watch your double posts Enyo;) , im in cornwall and all they charge to pick them up is a fiver, because i could give them to my gran and pensioners get a large discount, hehe.

ive ripped it down 2day in the garage with all the doors open and im fine, there was a kind of thermal compound on the evaperator that actually burnt through the gloves i was using but that was ok in the end. thgis is a very good freezer and i should get very good results. there are about 6 coils wraped around the aluminium case but they will be sitting inside the case because thats the res. its about 2 feet square and ive cut it down to about a foot tall. should br good;)

Cyclopentane is just a hydrocarbon. It's not a carcinogen. It's not toxic. Chemically, it's similar to the butane in a cigarette lighter. It's less dangerous than breathing the fumes when you go to a gas station.

Also, it's very volatile, so if the thing has been sitting there anywhere near room temperature, it will be gone. It will have diffused straight through the polyurethane.

You're safe, man. I'd wear a dust mask to keep from breathing in all the dust, but that's really the only protection you might want.

Back