• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Barton 2500 - unlocked?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bArrin

Registered
Recently i bought a new cpu, an AMD AtlhonXP 2500+ (Barton)

I've been browsing the forums, and everywhere I look it says that the bartons are factory unlocked.... But... (im kinda new to this, so bear with me and pls correct if im totally way off =) my cpu doesnt seem to be unlocked (unlocked means that u can change the multiplier in the BIOS, right?)

my mb (which is a MSI K7N2 with the latest bios-drivers) lets me select fsb up to 200, but this is not stable at all, any idea of how, if possible, i can make it stable? (my vcore can only go to 1.800)

in bios, i can only select multipliers from x7 to x13, but if i change the setting from ANYTHING else than use H/W settings, my cpu clock drops down to MAX 1100MHz :eek: (at 13x, and it was about 900MHz at 10x....) which is not fun.....

the exact numbers on my cpu are as follows:

AMD Athlon
AXDA2500KV4D 9770188241234
AQXEA 0327VPMW

is this a good cpu for oc'ing? (if i can manage to unlock it...)
any ideas of how to unlock it?

it is coated in some fashion, but the L1 bridges do seem to be intact.. ( i havnt got a magnifying glass handy, but they look fine..) can it be my mobo that keeps me from changing the multiplier?

any and all responses welcomed

thx

/bArrin

Last edited:
i have updated to the latest bios for the mobo

and the board is a nForce2 mobo, exact specs (from outside the mobo box )

K7N2-L (601-6570-010)
K7, nFORCE2 SPP, MCP2, D-Bracket2, I/O Shield

and, btw.. does any1 know if this mobo has the PCI fsb fixed at 33?

bArrin said:
and, btw.. does any1 know if this mobo has the PCI fsb fixed at 33?

Some say it does, others say it doesn't. I've built 2 systems with this mobo, and from what I can tell, the pci/agp bus does not change after raising the fsb.

ok... it just might be the mobo which is the limiting factor here... i just tried with an unlocked duron 1300 (which i know is unlocked, cuz i'm running it in another system, and after the pencil trick, the BIOS now gives me multipliers up to 18x (which i can't use, cuz the mb screws it all up.. http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=221465 )) and in bios i didn't have any multipliers above 13x, just as with my barton2500.

any ideas how to make the mobo give me more than 13x?
or do i have to buy a new?

the mobo automatically changes the multiplier to 5x if it is not left to 'Use H/W Settings' in bios, no matter what i change it to (and 7x is the lowest possible setting....)

any way to make the mobo at least agree to 13x ??

if i was to buy a new mobo, what would ppl suggest? (not into any heavy duty serious oc.. prol just what i can get on air)
and would it be worth it? can i get my cpu a lot faster on air? (check my sig)

nope.. both the j10 and the j11 are set correct..
but they are really the only jumpers (they and the cmos) i know about.. if any other was set wrong, that could be it.. any ideas?

That's about it for me. Somethings funky. If you're thinking of another board, the K7N2 Delta is a very nice board with the Nforce 2 Ultra (but you're probably fed up with MSI right about now).

hehe, im starting to get a bit frustrated, yes :p
but i might give msi another try.. first time i've had trouble with them...

bArrin said:
Recently i bought a new cpu, an AMD AtlhonXP 2500+ (Barton)

I've been browsing the forums, and everywhere I look it says that the bartons are factory unlocked.... But... (im kinda new to this, so bear with me and pls correct if im totally way off =) my cpu doesnt seem to be unlocked (unlocked means that u can change the multiplier in the BIOS, right?)

my mb (which is a MSI K7N2 with the latest bios-drivers) lets me select fsb up to 200, but this is not stable at all, any idea of how, if possible, i can make it stable? (my vcore can only go to 1.800)

in bios, i can only select multipliers from x7 to x13, but if i change the setting from ANYTHING else than use H/W settings, my cpu clock drops down to MAX 1100MHz :eek: (at 13x, and it was about 900MHz at 10x....) which is not fun.....
/bArrin

<a href="http://www.beachlink.com/candjac/index.htm"></a>
http://www.beachlink.com/candjac/index.htm
Link to Workarounds article. Note that your mobo might not be able to reset the 5th bit from default LO to HI, needed to get 13X and up. But then also note the section on chips with 11X thru 12.5X default may do funny things if you reset only the 5th bit HI.

So read and decide what to try. We'd suggest 2 fine wire u-loops in sockets to set 2X and 8X Bit Values HI...see pics for locations. That gets you 13X, then possibly setting "8X Less" in bios gets you 13.5X etc.
John C.

I have simialar issues. My 9 multi wont boot and it's extremely unstable. I can only go 200*8.0. THIS SUCKS. let me know if you figure anything out, please. Sorry I cant help

Back