• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The chip that was dead... And then wasn't

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Skiing Squirrel

My friend had a chip in his rig. About a week ago it died. We tested everything, and concluded it was the chip. He ordered a new one, and put it in, and the rig worked just fine. He gave me the dead chip because he didn't want it. So I brought it home, and just for giggles decided to plug it in my motherboard to see if it would work. And to my suprise it did. How can a chip not work-and then work? Anyway, I called him up and told him, but he still let me have it. No I just need to get a few more parts and I am on my way to having a folder. :)

Happened to me and thousands of others.

That's why it's good to walk away and let things cool down sometimes.

Once a bad power supply was the cause of "now it works, now it doesn't" CPU for me so I'd check into it...

whats a folder? sorry im new to O/C'ing.....is it that program you guys run 24/7?

Brodie said:
whats a folder? sorry im new to O/C'ing.....is it that program you guys run 24/7?

No need to apologize! :) folding is somewhat of a program that stresses our systems, but mainly what it does is we crunch out data a university sends us to find cures for cancers and such. It really is a good thing.

Back