• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sudden jump from 133 FSB to 2xx FSB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
You're not supposed to do it. Small increments or else you get Windows registry probs. etc...

Well if you're supposed to install Windows at default settings (not overclocked) and you do, then drive image Windows drive,.... after you overclock your system later to 2xx FSB, wouldn't restoring that drive image (that was made at 133 FSB) be like jumping from 133 FSB to 2xx FSB suddenly.

Reason I ask is I did it dozens of times and did not notice any problems but I should have, right?

(Dual boot Windows XP / Me)

i dont see how this has any problems with the nf2 boards.. if the pci is locked then the hd is never gonna be affected by the fsb increase. it should read it as normal.. the only reason i see why you would have problems is if you OC too hgih and system became unstable =d

Yeah, with a locked PCI bus, you shouln't have any kind of probelms related to your OS installation. If you're confident that your hardware can handle the leap, there isn't any harm to jump high amounts of front side bus on any board, as long as one is careful with the PCI bus.

But we discussed this earlier. You get a new chip, you shouldn't jump from 133 FSB to 2xx FSB even if you know that the chip can "handle it".

One of the reasons given was Windows registry corruption.

How is imaging at 133 FSB and reimaging at 2xx FSB different from taking a chip from 133 FSB to 2xx FSB straight up?

Really? Links? I've often installed Windows at fully overclocked settings myself, without any issues...

Yes, many people have experienced registry corruption going from a low fsb to a high fsb in one 'leap', including Altec and I. I'm not sure why it does that, but I should research it when I have time.

As for the images, I've personally never had corruption dropping the fsb in large amounts. Only raising it..

is that with an FSB bump like that and no scaling back of the multiplier to equalise the clock speed to its stock? - your processor might just be having a hard time running at the new clock speed with stability and causing various errors - but I dont see how this could cause any corruption if your hardware can handle it...unless your AGP/PCI isnt locked or you havent set the correct divider :santa2:

Dan

1. I'm surprised as I thought that installing Windows at default settings was something that was recommended by everyone.
2. ninthebin, this is not about that. It's about lowering your multi of course and raising the FSB from default, not in increments but straght up to a little lower then what the chip "is known to be capable of handling" then raising it up in small increments to find its max. I will try to find earlier threads where we discussed this...

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=218785&highlight=windows

Tyranos said:
It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen to me a lot as of late. I went from 100fsb to 200 in one bios session, and my registry was corrupted. Even 170 to 200 did it. After I formatted, I went in small increments of 5mhz, and got up to ~220. I've read the same thing from others as well. I think windows needs time between extremes to config correctly. I would think my system is as capable as the one stated. But if you can do it without corruption, thats awesome.
altec said:
Tyranos: I have also had that happen to me when I first got my 1700 t'bred B and tried to jump to 200Mhz FSB.

One reason high fsb can cause corruption is that if your ram is starting to act up it can corrupt data in the memory and when that data is written to the drive its corrupted already. I also reccomend installing any os at defaults.

If your system is absolutely stable you can install your OS when OCd. Otherwise you are risking corrupt files due to various errors or a possible crash. That is why people don't reccomend installing the OS when OCd.

Back