• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first O/c System, Few questions also...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brodie

Registered
Hey guys, just decided it was time to upgrade the comp seeing as how Ive been gaming on my Pent II 400mhz for years now. (BF1942 hates my comp :p )

So Im goin AMD since AMD = gawd

So heres my setup Im buying:

AMD ATHLON XP 2500+ "Barton" 333 FSB PROCESSOR CPU- RETAIL (not sure of stepping since this is newegg)

Buffalo Technology 512MB 6 Layer PC3200 DDR Memory Module CL 2.5 32X8 (Winbond Module)

ABIT NF7-S

This case Is it any good?

And this stuff I already have in my 400:

Nvidia GeForce 4200ti 128MB

60GB IBM Darkstar 7200RPM

Soundblaster Audigy +mp3

So my questions are; is the case any good? and what heatsink should I go with until I get liquid cooling, or should I just use the factory one and not O/C until I get the water system?

Well

Cpu is good

Mobo is good

Not sure about the ram pc3200 is good but ive never heard of that make so im not sure

the case looks ok to me lots of fans it there which is good

for a hsink you will be best going for a thermalrite slk-800/900 or maybe as it is only temporary a sk-7 would be cheaper and better choice. use a smartfan2 80mm or if you get a slk-900 use a 90mm fan

twinmos/ch-5 winbond pc3200
http://www.memoryx.net/gn256pc3200.html
It will allow you to go to 220 FSB which is more important than MHz.

I don't know about the case but power supply is very important.
Try to get
Antec, Fortron (Sparkle), Sirtec (Enlight, Vantec, Thermaltake), or more expensive Herolchi, PC Power and Cooling, or not as good but not dangerous HEC, TTGI.

Buffalo is highly reccomended by alot of people here as great AMD o/c ram.

And the power supply on that case isnt sufficient?

slater3333uk said:
a 500w psu is more than sufficient

Personally I don't think that the entire story of a PSU is told by it how many watts its rated at. That said that PSU should do fine. There is no sense in buying anything else until you actually know that its not sufficient anyways.

Ok then how much do they want for them Buffalo apples if TwinMOS fluctuates between $54 & $59?

$45 Buffalo Technology 256MB 6 Layer PC3200 DDR Memory Module CL 2.5 32X8 (Winbond Module)
=
$58.98 256MB Twinmos/Twinmos (CH-5 chip) PC3200 CL2.5 184pin

is that what you saying?

What about (CH-5 chip)?

Im not sure, Ive just heard it uses the same chips as Corsair XMS

This case looks like modded chieftec. get the chieftec,because it's cheaper and you can mount the heater core under the HDD's. I don't thing you need such 'rack' for your hdd's

do you think my original case I was going to get would be super loud?

The NF7-S Does not need an Audigy unless you want about 3 line in and 7.1 surround sound - if you use it for gaming the onboard 5.1 and digital outputs of the NF7-S are more than enough and are of good quality - Soundstorm certified by nVidia.

That case looks like a complete waste of money. Just the fact that a power supply puts out 500W tells us nothing. Get yourself one of these, and get this power supply. The Buffalo used to be an excellent choice- ever since they switched to CH-5 chips, their performance seems to be lackluster. Sometimes one can get lucky with them and do excellent, but other times cannot even get the stuff to run at 200mhz CL2. This seems to be an issue with every CH-5 based stick, including Corsair, except for Twinmos. If you can afford it, the Twinmos may be a better a choice.

Back