• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Changed case + applied AS3 = big heat increase

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

green a

I'm not sure what the hell i did wrong but after doing a case transplant and applying AS3 to the CPU my temps have gone way up. I went from some generic case (which never has the side or front on it) to an Antec Plusview 1000 AMG and changed the cpu paste from the junk that my Aeroflow came with to AS3. I followed the instructions on the AS website so I'm confident I did that part right. What seems very strange to me is that my case temp (using MBM5) has gone up no less than 14 degrees (20 to 34) after switching to my new case. This case is much larger and cost a hell of alot more than the one I was using. My diode temp has gone up about 5 degrees and the socket temp has gone up about 8 degrees since the change over. I'm afraid to even put this under load because my normal diode temp hovers around 50! Is there something I might have missed when doing the transplant?

What case did you switch to, and how many case fans do you have running right now? If you never had the side/front of the old case on the sensors were probably reading near room temp. With the new case closed up, you need to ensure proper airflow; i.e. good intake balanced with good exhaust.

Switched to the Antec PlusView1000AMG. It comes with 3 fans, 1 in the front and two in the rear and I bought an additional one to go on the side panel (blowing intake). The interesting thig is that when I posted that last message I didn't have the side on the case and when I put it on the case temp droped by 7 but the diode gained about 2. So now I have an increase of 7 on the case and about 7 on the diode (not under load).

Edit: I take that back, it only comes with the two in the rear. So I have three total.

You need better airflow thru the case. Even tho it comes with 3 fans, they're pos fans and they don't push any air.

I have 2 Chieftec Dragon cases which are the same as the antec.

After swapping fans to smartfan 2's. my case temps in my main are 26c and my back up is 27c. My main is watercooled but my back up has an SLK900u with a 92mm Tornado set @ medium (3200 Rpms) and my cpu is running 2.35Ghz 1.95vcore. At full steam right now temps are 38c

I suggest reseating the hsf and getting better case fans.

Any suggestions on what to use to clean the HSF and CPU? I'm in a fairly remote location and getting some Isopropyl rubbing alcohol was hard enough, I know goo off and Carb cleaner are out of the question. I think I may buy about 4 smart fan 2's and an SLK800 since I'm getting tired of this Aeroflow. In the meantime until I get these items (2 weeks for delivery) I'm just going to reseat the HSF. Please let me know any other ideas to clean the cpu and HSF.

Alcohol is the best for cleaning off the cpu and hsf. Also for the SLK-800 you might want to get a 92mm smartfan 2. It'll push a bit more air with less noise ;)

Get 4 80mm for the case and 1-92mm for the slk-800. If you take the front panel off you'll see the grill holes for the front fans. See if you can get tin snips or a hole saw that's 80mm in size and cut the grills out. (it's gonna be covered by the front panel) That will improve airflow into the case. Make sure the hdd and cdrom ribbons are out of the way of the fans. Tidy up all your wires. The less obstacles in the way, the better your airflow.

In the mean time try enjoying your rig with the side panel off until you get the new fans and hsf.

Hope this helps ya out :D

Back