• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KT3 Ultra compatibility question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bunyip

OK, I think this is going to be a silly question, but I'm genuinely confused. I want to buy a new XP2600 CPU for my KT3 Ultra. However, according to newegg, the Thoroughbred core they sell has a 333 bus, and my mobo's FSB only goes up to 220. (Actually, the online documentation says it supports 100 and 133 busses.) These must be completely different busses, right?

To confuse me further, the MSI webpage says that my mobo is compatible with the 2600 thoroughbred with a 133/266 FSB. But the only 2600 (throughbred) sold on newegg has a 333 FSB.

Also on MSI's website, it seems to indicate that the board isn't compatible with the Barton core, although the 2600 Barton isn't even listed.

Can someone help clear up this poor n00b's confusion?

The '333' that newegg is claiming is AFTER the double-pumping.

The TBred has a 166mhz *actual* bus at stock speeds, which is doubled for 333 effective data rate.

Your MSI KT3 Ultra, while not at ALL likely to work at 220mhz, would achieve a data rate of 440mhz, follow me?

In other words, double check MSI's website for compatibility, but it should work fine with a bios update if you haven't installed the latest yet.

For reference:

Actual / Effective with DDR

100/200
133/266
166/333
200/400

Aah... things make considerable more sense now. Thanks!

One more question - MSI's somewhat dodgy website claims compatbility with a 2600 Tbred with a 266 data rate. I haven't been closely following AMD's product line - do those even exist? I don't see them sold anywhere. Did they use to exist?

I'm also a little unclear on the Tbred/Barton differences, but if you don't feel like explaining them, I'm certainly capable of using the forum search function to find out.

Thanks!

The TBred A is the next evolution of the Athlon core following the palomino. Results on this chip weren't stellar, though, so they tweaked it and ended up with the wonderful TBred B, which for all intents and purposes can be considered the REAL evolution of the Athlon 'Palomino' XP.

The Barton Core is a TbredB with more L2 cache, meaning it handles memory functions more efficiently and speedily. (Amount depending on what exactly is going on, but generally there is some small to reasonable amount of improvement.)

On the 266/2600XP, I don't know, but your board will support the 333mhz processors with a bios update. I unlocked my palomino 2000+ and ran it at 11x166 (depending on mood) on my KT3 Ultra 2.

Thanks for the very helpful explanation.

My understanding is that the Bartons and 333 bus Tbreds definitely run on the Ultra2 boards. Unfortunately, I've got an 1st generation Ultra, and MSI tech support is much less encouraging on the CPUs it will run.

Someone else suggested I see if my board has a 1/5 divider, in which case it will probably run a 166 bus for the Tbred B or Barton. Unfortunately, I don't actually have a CPU to check the BIOS right now, but I'm going to borrow one and get back to you guys.

Thanks for the help!

I too have the first generation Kt3 ultra and am very curious if this will run a barton. I'll will also try to get a hold of a barton and see if it will run.

Fil

Any updates on this ?

I was just about to post on this same subject. A friend has a KT3 Ultra with the KT333 Chipset. I am not sure how to tell what generation this board is. Perhaps the chipset tells me that ?

Right now he's got an XP1800+ on there and just ordered an XP2700. I am trying to find out for him if his existing board will support the new CPU or if he's got to look for a new mobo.

I think right now his FSB is @ 266 for the XP1800, but it does make sense that a BIOS upgrade could enhance the board to be able to do the 166/333.

Thanks for any input.

Sorry I haven't had a chance to look into it yet. I actually don't ahve a processor right now at all, so I've been unable to check the bios. I'm hoping to borrow one from a friend this weekend and will let you know as soon as I find out.

As for telling the difference between the Ultra and the Ultra2, my insturction manual says ultra so I assumed that's what I've got.

fillet54 said:
I too have the first generation Kt3 ultra and am very curious if this will run a barton. I'll will also try to get a hold of a barton and see if it will run.

Fil

i have the first generation of the kt3 ultra and run a barton 2500 in it just fine...the 1/5 divider is present on these boards. i would suggest you put your ram to the most relaxed timings before you put the barton in than you can go back and tighten them up some. most important ones are fastcommand and 1t command put to normal and disable

Last edited:
Back