• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nexus Fan Controller

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nippledonkey

Registered
I thinking of getting a Vantek NXP-205 fan controller to tame the sound of my 92mm Tornado that’s on my slk-900u.

Has any one done this and does it actually work well?

I remember seeing a thread a while back that people were having problems with regulating the speed of the tornado, they said it starts to smoke :eek:. Although I dont remeber exactly if it was the tornado, but i know it was a vantec fan. I'll try to see if I can find it.

i have mine on a sunbeam rheabus and no problems at all... but it's kind of dumb i think to get extreme fans only to tame them... i think i just keep it for the cool lights and that's about it.

I have 4, yes 4 Tornado's in my case and I'm using the Nexus NXP-201, I suggest you not get the NXP-205. I've had both and the 201 has alot more adjustment in terms of power control. The 205 seems like it has set adjustments, seemed like there were about 5 different voltage settings when turning the knob. The power transition from high to low is like a switch, it doesn't blend as you turn the knob. The 201 has a wider range of voltage control.

I also suggest the 201, as long as it's a newer version. I say the 201 because it's more matured and we can assure the later ones will not have the problems the earlier ones had. BTW, the 201 is what was discussed in GlitchofDoom's link. Here's the basic summary:
The 201 had a trace that ran under a screw on the PCB. The screw was not insulated properly, and as such, caused shorts, especially when controller 4 was used. Since then, Vantec has redesigned their manufacturing. Before they redesigned the PCB and rerouted the trace, they added in a little washer to properly insulate the trace. It did take a while, as well as quite a few people, to get Vantec going, though.

I have both 201 and 205, and unless the 3.5' format is an issue for you, I also suggest you take the 201 as the regulation on the 205 is not as good as the 201. It seems like it works by 'steps' and not linearly like 201.

Back