• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCing past 200FSB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EtherealShade

Currently running an ASUS A7N8X Rev 2 with a Barton 2500+ that I have OCed to 2.2ghz, 1.7vcore, idle temp ~34C load ~38C. My RAM is really crappy and I think it's limiting me from OCing further (I currently have it throttled to 83% FSB, because it didn't like OCing with the processor) I'm planning on upgrading the RAM soon, probably to PC3500 or PC3700, but I wanted to figure out if I can overclock my CPU any more (preferably up to ~275FSB) before I decide what kind of RAM to get. Has anyone had any good results overclocking past 200FSB on this board?

short answer, yes, in fact, if you get pc3200 or higher, you should hit 200+, i'm wondering why you haven't been able to get more from you barton, but nevertheless, when you get the new ram, drop the multiplier to 10x, then start upping the fsb

i'm in the same boat, my pc2700 is holding me back as well

Well, I just sped up the memory timings (5,2,2,2T) and I was able to get it to post up to 215FSB, but windows wouldn't boot past 205FSB, and that was unstable. If I increased the vcore from 1.7 to say, 1.725, do you think that would help? Or should I just go straight for lowering my multiplier? It's still running 200x11.

oh, yes, raise the vcore, that's prolly the problem, if 1.725(or more) gets you into windows, but is unstable(locks up and such), keep raising it till it is stable, just watch your temps, if it gets above 55c, you might wanna get better cooling(of course, i have no idea what cooling solution you do have), but that's the basics, if a problem occurs, raise the vcore, could just be lacking the power

Back