• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chipped core?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-=Ambush=-

Wow I though I hated heatsink clips before. Now I despise them!

After a 30min sturggle to get my v11+ back on after i had a massive failure with my comp and had to reset the cmos, I relized that my comp was running a little hotter that usual. Only 2c on my harcano and asus probe, but a whopping 10-15c higher in the bios!!

Well I just opened up my comp and I see that rhe core is chipped! What can I do now! It dosen't look too terrible, it almost looks like a tiny spec of thermal grease on it. But will that drasticly affect temps??

I also Relized tha the pads in the corner of my 3200+ were coming off, could this affect the temp somehow? Or cause the chipped core?

Also, could reseting the cmos cause my bios to report highertemps?

Chipped cores can increase your temps by a little bit depending on the size of it. 10-15c I dunno. Maybe you didn't get as good of a HS mount on it this time also. I would keep running it though, it should be fine for years.

wow i guess that makes sense.. the core is chipped on two of my processors.. can this happen because of a heatsinks being too tight or something? i've never dropped any processors.. and i dont know how else it would happen.

Hmm, iI just looked at my heatsink and it has an impression of thw core impreited on it! :eek:

Really do the 4 pads around the processor prevent that, because all but 3 are worn down to a nub.

Also, It was only in the bios where is was 10-15c higher. The asus probe was only a little bit higher.

Well, I'm going to lap the HS again tonight and reseat it, hopefully everythin will be ok....

the print is from the heat generated by teh core and also the pressure from teh clips =d copper is pretty soft

usually cores dont chip unless you mount it in a bad form.. i have never chipped a core but having it chipped will icnrease temps.. less surface area =d bigger chip higher temps =d hehe

Back