• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Summer heat's killing me!!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chowdy

Okay, i'm in Southern CA, and it's hot as blazes here. My computer has two hard drives and two optical drives, thus generating much heat. When my room is 88-90F (it gets this high, no kidding) my computer suffers heat-related crashes while playing games. Here's some numbers:

Ambient - 88°-90°F ~31°C (mid-day)
Case: Idle - 40°C; Load - 43°C
CPU: Idle - 46°C; Load - 52°C

Yes, very hot temps as you can see (for the case, at least). The processor is always within acceptable ranges which should not cause instability. When i remove the side panel, my temps remain the same except for a 1°-2°C drop in CPU temps, which is nothing to celebrate about as it's already within acceptable range. Here's some more numbers to show:

Ambient - ~82°F-85°F ~25-26°C (evening)
Case: Idle - 35°C; Load - 38°C
CPU: Idle - 40°C; Load - 45°C

Ambient - 72°F ~22°C (night-time)
Case: Idle - 33°C; Load - 35°C
CPU: Idle - 39°C; Load - 43°C

If my house temp was kept a comfy 72F all day, my temps would be good. Not great, but good. Anyone know what the heck my issue is? Even when opening my side panel, my temps are about the same. My array of case fans seems to be doing its job. Now i can't really game (not even original Half-Life!) when my case temp is 40°C or over. Anyone have an idea of what to do? Or should i just not play games during the hottest hours of the day? Perhaps AC is my only choice....?

CURSE THE SUMMER HEAT!

"Now i can't really game (not even original Half-Life!) when my case temp is 40°C or over. Anyone have an idea of what to do?"
Two words: Delta Fans
Install some in your case to blow the heat away.

star882 said:
"Now i can't really game (not even original Half-Life!) when my case temp is 40°C or over. Anyone have an idea of what to do?"
Two words: Delta Fans
Install some in your case to blow the heat away.

That isn't going to help. How can you blow the heat away when the rooms full of it? They will just be blowing hot air.

What you need it to put an AC unit in your computer room.

I think some better case flow might help because the case temps are still 12C above ambient. You may want to back down the overclock and run stock vcore during the summer.

ya.. today was really bad.. ( i live in southern ca too) right now 6:50 pm my cpu is 46.. HORRRRIIIIIBBBLLLEEE hehehe i had to edit my sig a bit because it's such a difference.

this stupid heat is limiting my overclock so much. Its about 90 everyday and im in a 3rd floor room so its very very hot up here. Its very dissapointing i must say

Ah, if only California had such an abundance of electricity that would allow one to run his A/C 24/7.

The temperature outside hit 110° this week and my ambient temp stayed at a comfy 75°.

Don't mind me... Oooozing with Texas pride atm.

I suppose i could just get a new case...The thing is, my videocard is the main thing causing issues, because when i play a game (like today) the screen got all distorted and it was horrible. UT2K3 was plagued with white spots. After i turned off the computer and turned it back on it was fine for a while, then it crashed into a blank BSOD (just a blue screen, no white text). CURSES. I'm thinking i should just take off as many panels as possible and see how that works.

About how many degrees inside my case above ambient should i be reaching?

back off on your oc for the time being. Thats what i'm doing! It was 84F today and i backed off my 2.3ghz 1700+ to 1.8ghz. Better to be safe than sorry.

I live in Northern Calif. and the temps also wreak havoc with my computer...With no A/C or even a swamp cooler, it gets too dang hot in here...so I back off on the OC and open the case to put a big house fan on it and keep the temps tolerable...

No relief from now until Oct., I expect...dammit...:mad:

"That isn't going to help. How can you blow the heat away when the rooms full of it? They will just be blowing hot air."
"Now i can't really game (not even original Half-Life!) when my case temp is 40°C or over."
"Ambient - 88°-90°F ~31°C (mid-day)
Case: Idle - 40°C; Load - 43°C
CPU: Idle - 46°C; Load - 52°C"
The ambient temp is ~31°C, and problems only occur if the case temp is over 40°C, so it would work.

i'll back off on the OC of my proc to default voltage. If my case temps don't improve, then id uno what i'm gonna do. My proc always stays within acceptable levels (under 60C), so i suppose it'd do little good. If leaving my case open does nothing then what would extra case fans help?

Case temps should not be more than 5*C max above the ambiant room temps. Be sure that the amount of cfm into and from the case are close to the same. This will maintain a constant flow of fresh air to maintain a better case temp. For comparison: My case temps run 2*C above the ambiant room temps (2 fans in the lower front and 2 fans in the upper rear + the PS fan). If you have a little more cfm going out, it will still pull fresh air in thru the cracks.

Too bad those portable room air conditioners are so costly, or you could set one of those next to your desk and run a vent hose from it into your computer.

I looked around and can't find any much under 450 bucks.

I think when I get my Lian-Li, I am going to try running a dryer hose from my window AC into an intake on the case just to see how it works. :)

Look at a weather forecast for the UK

36C IN THE SHADE!

Yesterday my CPU IDLED at 65C and today = teh crispier, even with my SmartfanII at 5000RPM and screaming.

I'll have to turm my (non-overclocked) PC right off as we haven't heard of "Air Con" over here, and my dad's too stubborn to let me rig a hosepipe up to a car radiator to cool the house down. :mad:

Hello !

Like everywhere this year, it's really hot in France too ! In the shadow, the temp is everyday between 35 ans 40°C since many days :( In my room, middle of the afternoon, the temp is around 33°C with the computer running well overclocked :))) (3.33 GHz for a 2.4B). I installed two extra fans, one for the Northbridge, and one for the graphic card. My case is open 7/7.

In fact, it's harder for me than for my PC :))) Good luck guys ! Fall arrives soon !

++

Gotta love how almost EVERY house in Florida has an A/C. Even though I have A/C, it's still 32C in my computer room as compared to 26C around the rest of the house. I was thinking of bong cooling but we are always at such a high humidity that it wouldn't work very well but my watercooling works great. 41C under load and 32 - 34C case temps.

Back