• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WinXP Boot up problems: desperate to save data.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drdoug26

Hi all, ( I hope this is in the right place)

I've got my brother-in-law computer on my workbench and Its failing to load window XP Pro - NTFS partitioned. It trys but hangs on the very first windows screen. Eventually I get the evil blue screen of death saying "unmountable_Boot_Volume". I'm figureing a dead hard drive.

Of course they have failed to back it up and am begging that I try and save some of the files on the computer - especially the My Documents folder.

I've tried booting in with all the safe-mode options for it never makes it to a windows screen - just the above Blue Screen.

I've tried booting up to win 98 boot disc but it would see the C:\ drive. I wanted to try and redo the boot sector.

I then thought maybe I could try a new window install in a differently named install folder (this usually has worked in the past) but windows said the partition was damaged and I need to reformat - which of course will kill all their old files.

Does anyone have anyother tricks I can try????

Thanks in advance
Doug G.

Robbie said:
Plug the drive into another system run a scandisk and pull the data off that way.
Rob

Thats probably your only chance at this point. Go for it.

Matt

redduc900 said:
My guess would be that the file system is damaged...in order to repair it, you'll need to start your computer to the Recovery Console, and then run the chkdsk /r command to repair the volume. You can read up on the XP Recovery Console at the following MSKB site if you're not familiar with it's use...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314058 :)

My thoughts excatly, I have had this issue and this fix works like a charm, Good Luck!!

You might also have luck by re-writing the boot sector of the drive. Log into the Recovery Console, and type:

fixboot
fixmbr
exit

That will write you a new bootloader, and then reboot the system. Good luck!

if all you need is Docs, you may be able to boot to DOS using a disk from here: www.bootdisk.com and copy the Docs to a floppy.

wont work for anything major obviously, but you should be able to save some word files that way.

edit: sorry, im retarded, didnt see you can't see the c:\ with the Win98 boot. But bootdisk.com does have a dos app that is supposed to let you read NFTS from dos, never tried it, but you many want to.

Back