• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Differences between WinXP OEM and Retail

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

toastedzergling

Hey I am just wondering why windows retail costs $100 more than OEM version, retail version users get microsoft technical support right? So OEM users can't call Microsoft but how about an e-mail? :)I am holding a sealed windows xp pro box in my hand and I don't think there's a manual in it. Has anybody ever used retail boxed Windows?

Well Microsoft are hermits when it comes to tech support. You can call them, but they'll charge ya so that sucks. You can email them, but they'll never email ya back. You could write them a letter, but they'll probably junk it. They are real closed-in. Don't expect anything good as far as tech support goes from ms.

BTW - OEM versions of windows are made to come with hardware only for the purpose of making the hardware function properly and to put it to use. They are rarely supported. Retail, on the other hand, is bought solo and usually is more supported.

I have personally never cracked a manual for an OS, nor have I ever called support. That is what forums like these are for. ;) If I can save 100 bucks and save an inch on my bookshelf, I say good deal!

orange400 said:
Well Microsoft are hermits when it comes to tech support. You can call them, but they'll charge ya so that sucks. You can email them, but they'll never email ya back. You could write them a letter, but they'll probably junk it.

Really? I've never called microsoft, so you have to call a 900 number to get some techie on the phone? I am building this PC for a computer-challenged friend, I am thinking of buying an OEM Windows but when I saw this auction on ebay and couldn't help it so I got an XP pro retail box for about $165, thought I had a sizzling deal....:(

M$ makes manuals? lol... always go for the OEM. better support in forums like this by people who actually figure out how to fix things themselves... not to mention the $$$ you'll save...

toastedzergling said:
Hey I am just wondering why windows retail costs $100 more than OEM version, retail version users get microsoft technical support right? So OEM users can't call Microsoft but how about an e-mail? :)I am holding a sealed windows xp pro box in my hand and I don't think there's a manual in it. Has anybody ever used retail boxed Windows?

There is a manual in the retail box but I have never opened mine. There is no difference between the two other than packaging and if an OEM or retail customer calls MS for support, they will both be charged the same rate. Stick with the OEM. Consider the 100 dollars saving a credit towards if your friend needs to call MS. :D

I think the last one I got for $125 at Mwave, looks like M$ XP has gone up 10 bucks since then though $134 when you purchase hardware now. Newegg is even higher, can't imagine why it would go up that much.

I work at a University, so I can get a discount in the bookstore and pay a fraction of the cover price on about anything.

Back