• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lowering CPU usage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orange400

I have RollerCoaster Tycoon installed on my system, and when I run it, the CPU usage is constantly at 100%. And as many of you know, that can make our overclocked machines HOT. I have a rear-ducted Volcano 11-Xaser running on a Zalman speed controller and I have to crank it nearly all the way up to control the temps, and then it still runs ~57-60 degrees.

I could un-overclock it before I run the game, and I have done that with success to keep the temps down, but that's a real pain in the as I was thinking :), is there a program out there that will lower my cpu usage overall to keep my temps down? Or are there ways to do that in windows xp? Thanks all!!

If your temps are hitting 57-60deg you have got a cooling problem that you need to look into. My system never goes over 48deg and that is running Folding or any game that I might be playing.

orange400 said:
I have RollerCoaster Tycoon installed on my system, and when I run it, the CPU usage is constantly at 100%. And as many of you know, that can make our overclocked machines HOT. I have a rear-ducted Volcano 11-Xaser running on a Zalman speed controller and I have to crank it nearly all the way up to control the temps, and then it still runs ~57-60 degrees.

I could un-overclock it before I run the game, and I have done that with success to keep the temps down, but that's a real pain in the as I was thinking :), is there a program out there that will lower my cpu usage overall to keep my temps down? Or are there ways to do that in windows xp? Thanks all!!

If you go into system properties it will tell you what process is hogging the CPU and you need to nip it in the bud. There are many sneaky programs that like to rob your CPU cycles. If you are running Kazaa, DELETE IT!! and if you are running folding programs or SETI these will hog the CPU usage a whole lot.

pretty much any game i have seen does this. even when you are just sitting at a menu the processor usage stays at a constant 100%... it is just something it does unfortunately... i would have to guess that it is some way that the program can keep the processor dedicated so if it needs those cpu cycles, i can quickly gain access to them...

Every system has their own safe temps ... my system begins to get unstable at ~63 degrees, so 61 degrees is my highest limit. I have one of the most effective air cooling systems installed and it is even ducted and lapped. I dunno, it's just not that hot to me. I want a water cooling system, but that's $$$.

Anyways, anybody know of a program that would do that? The game is the CPU hog, so I can't cancel that task.

orange400 said:
Every system has their own safe temps ... my system begins to get unstable at ~63 degrees, so 61 degrees is my highest limit. I have one of the most effective air cooling systems installed and it is even ducted and lapped. I dunno, it's just not that hot to me. I want a water cooling system, but that's $$$.

I would hardly say that the volcano 11 is the best air cooling system out there. Read the frontpage review and look where it is on the heatsink rankings.

What case are you running? What case fans?

I believe you just found out that your HSF combo is not enough for your over clock.
Either get a more efficient HSF combo or back it down a bit.
Try an Thermalright SLK-800 w/ a 80mm Thermaltake Smart Fan II or an SLK-900 (if your board will accept it) w/ a high quality (Panflo)120mm fan.
Your CPU temp, under load (100%), should never exceed 50c.
Good luck!

Quick69GTO, how are you getting a 120mm on a slk900? Mine is only good for a 92mm fan but i have been toying with the idea of modding it with different mounts other than the wire holders to something more permanent like copper poprivets and copper brackets for a 120mm fan but I think the dead spot would be too large for any benefits of the larger fan.

Tread

Aaaah crap!
You're right.
92mm is the biggest you can get on a SLK-900.
Brain fart.
Sorry all!

I don't own a 900 but I do own a 800 with a Smart fan II.
The 900 fan info came from the top of my head.

Back