• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

won't switch to 133!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BUBBLE

My GA7VAXP mobo sometimes go to 100MHz bus speed automatiucall whenever I plug a hard disk or some other device. after that it's so difficult to get back to 133MHz. This really make me go nuts, did anybody came across problem. Once HOOD suggest to solder the sw1 remaing two pins but I'm afraid to do this cause I've pc 2100 ram. Anyway my other machine detail are xp 2000+ 256 ram. Is this happening when the mobo doens't enough power? well it can't be also becaus i removed the all other devices and tried it but same. So if anone have a solution pls let me know.:mad:

umm did you switch the jumper that controlls the default fsb speed (100-133mhz)?

yeah i tried the sw1

Hi Onx,

I tried the sw1 thing but nothing at that time. when u give machine a long free time and try it again it works. So tell u it worked after few hours. I don't know exactly what is this prob but now I've overclocked the clock ration and the bus speed respectively 13*140=1820MHz. That is pretty good for fan cooling. I'm looking foward to get down my hands into a volcano 11+ and see somereal diffrent. But most in the forums it isn't a real ood as it seems to be so that news breaks my heart.

Hi BUBBLE, thats a strange one indeed. Do you use Arctic Silver as a HTC?? if so is there a possibility that you have a slight trace of it over the L12 bridges on the CPU???
Hood

no arctic silver over bridges

Hi Hood, I'm not using artic silver mabye some cheapy heat compund from a local computer shop. Anyway there is no way it has been leaked to the bridges. But the strange thing is it get automatically fix after few hours when u try the sw1 again. This is one of the strange probs i came across. Anyway not it seems to be ok. But whenever I try to remove the cd-roms and plugs another hard disk this happens.

Ok so weve ruled out the bridges. So you say it happens when you remove CDRoms and replace with HDD's, thats weird. Are you doing this with the mobo powered?? try it with the PSU unplugged and discharged (remove power from PSU and then press the computers ON button to drain the caps) If it still happens then try setting the options for the IDE detection to Auto(rather than User Defined) and see if it still does it.
If its still doing it then I dont know what else to suggest.
Does it happen just when you swap drives or does it happen on other occasions?
Hood

Just had another thought, yes I know thats dangerous!!!!! ( ME THINKING :)) I presume its quite humid in Sri Lanka so does this happen when the comp has been off for a while??? It could be some moisture forms on the CPU surface and then when you switch on it eventually evaporates away and things go back to normal. Probably just clutching at straws but similar things can happen with water and phase change systems when condensation forms on the CPU and shorts the bridges. As an example I had a bad seal with the evaporator head on my system and my CPU was getting detected as 1.85V default. I removed the head and found some condensation on the L11 bridges, I dried it off and got the seal better and it was back to 1.5v which is what it should be.
Hood

I dunno

Well Hood after considering all your comments mabye it can happen. I really remove and plugged devices after switching off the machine after all my earth system in home is not very good. Anyway when u let it have cool down for long time this happen. One thing not only ard disk removal, recentley I removed the mobo and cpu cooler and lapped it fixed it back and fix the mobo to the case and power on and this thing happened again. So it seems like this scenario will happen any occasion and as for your suggestion humidity can do lot of troubles. I've seen that problem in sri lankan notebooks lot of times. Anyway I'm planning to move to a water cooler somehow and wonder how will it affect to the machine (lol)

sounds like a bad sw1 switch i have the same board.Bad switches do some times work entermitantly some time it will some times it wont.I have no idea why gigbyte put a switch on the board when a jumper is so much more reliable if its still under warranty send the board back to gigbyte for replacement

returning won't be an option

Well I'd like to return it but the compu shop will not accpet it unless there is proof for that. The bad thing is this thing happen sometimes only. So if it works overthere then no help. Anyway I'll try to live with it after all I've to do more testing in this mobo to get most out of it. Anyway I've ordered a volcano 11+ cooler for this cause it runs in high temp in load like 60c. (this is overclocked to 13*140=1820MHz) so will that cooler will make huge cooling impact for me?

Back