• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SK7+92mm Vantec Tornado?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tn2003

Registered
I need some help. I have a sk-7 w/ tt smart case fan. im getting 35c/50c temp. I wanted to know if a vantec tornado 92mm would fit on my sk-7 and how much would the temp go down? Also i plan to get 2 more tt smart case for my case. Would that help with the temp any? Any help would be great. Thx guys.

a 92 mm tornado wouldnt fit on it wihtout maybe some modding even then im not sure it will go on =d

As for temp drops it will def drop a couple of degrees as to how much you can only tell after you have the fan on im sure not alot of ppl here run a 92 mm tornado on a sk7 =d most ppl use the 80 mm tornado

Ok if i use the 80mm Tornado how much of a drop in temp would i get? One more thing would the large fan clips fit the 92mm into the sk-7? And what about the 2 more tt smart case fans, how much would that make the temp drop?

most likly the 92 mm tornado wont fit...

smartfan 2 is a good option to go with sk7 it can blow alot of air and is adjustable if you dont want alot of noise whne you go to bed

well noise isn't really an issue for me. So if i can't put in the 92mm I can still put in the 80mm tornado correct? With the sk-7 and the 80mm tornado+3 tt smart case fans how much would my temp go down from 35c/50c? And i am also getting the vantec copper iceberg set for my northb and southb and the tt memory kit. I was wondering if that would help also and by how much?
Thx

Hmmm....A 92mm on an SK7? I'm not sure if the SK-7, itself, is big enough to hold a 92mm fan. *goes to thermalright site to find out* According to thermalright it's 2mm shorter (in length) than the SLK-800. It should be able to fit if this is the case. You may need to mod the clips a bit to get it on there, but you should be able to get it on. Refer to this: http://www.angelfire.com/cantina/nerdlogic/bending.html
for clip bending.
I warn you that the Tornados are LOUD. You may say you don't care about noise now, but you will once you have it running for a while and it drives you crazy. :D

More airflow in your case is beneficial if you don't have enough, meaning that if your case temps are too high above ambient temps, get the air flowing better. IMO, having your airflow balanced is the optimal option. 3 SFIIs will do fine. I would suggest 2 for intake and one for outtake (you'll have the PSU fan to help with the exhaust as well) and you may have slightly positive pressure, but it's pretty hard to achieve a perfect balance. Cooling your northbridge and memory will help your overclock, but will do nothing for your CPU temps. Also, if that's 35°C case/50°C CPU temps, then check a few things:

-Remount the SK-7 and make sure it is making good contact with the CPU.
-Reapply the thermal compound according to http://www.arcticsilver.com to make sure you have a proper TIM joint.
-Depending on your ambient temps, those 3 SFIIs will most likely help.
-Depending on the base of your HS, lapping it may shave off a few degrees.

i reccomend positive pressure over negative, since with negative pressure more dust will come in trough every opening in your case, and over time dust can really affect temps

Umm... are you sure you have the heatsink on properly. A 15 degree jump from idle to load is huge. My jump is only 4.5 degrees, and on average it should be from 5-10 degrees, and even that's pushing it. With a SmartFan2 at full speed, you'll see a negligible difference between it and a 80mm Tornado. Maybe 1 or 2 degrees. With a 92mm Tornado, maybe 3-5 degrees. Also, 50 degrees isn't really that high. If your system is stable, then 50 degrees is fine. What is your overclock right now?

Well this is my first comp and i only have it overclocked to 2105 right now. Im gonna lap my hs today and reply the thermal compound. Ill see how that goes. And yeah that is my case/cpu temp. What are load temps? And would a sk-7 w/80mm tornado + 3 tt smart case fans be better than a sk900u w/92mm tornado and 2 smart case fans? What should my temp be? Thx

Load temps are the temps of the CPU/case when the CPU has a 100% load. Prime95, toast, and CPUburn are among the few that do this. Prime95 torture test is the most common program used to put the CPU at full load and to test the stability of your system(if your system is rock solid after 12 hours of torture test, your sytem is stable.

oh ok im stable at 2105 than and my temps with load are 32-38 case/cpu 47-55. Are those temps bad? And would a sk-7 w/80mm tornado + 3 tt smart case fans be better than a sk900u w/92mm tornado and 2 smart case fans? What should my temp be? Thx

If your motherboard can support the SLK-900U, then it would be a better performer than the SK-7. However, I must ask you, what are your CPU specs (multi x FSB, VCore)?

Okay...If I'm not mistaken, the default for your CPU is 11x133. You are taking it up quite a bit in terms of both multi and FSB, even with a VCore of 1.7. Your temps may be right on the money for the SK-7.

Sorry...I didn't check your sig. :eek: Yes, the NF7-S v2 will fit it just fine. If you can handle the noise of the 92mm Tornado, then go for it. Otherwise, go with the Smart Fan II. Try using some nanotherm PCM+ as well. I'm going to try to get my hands on it soon.

Kino said:
i reccomend positive pressure over negative, since with negative pressure more dust will come in trough every opening in your case, and over time dust can really affect temps

That's not good advice at all. Go with negative pressure and filters to minimize any dust issues.

Last edited:
yeah well i just ordered the slk900u, a 92mm tornado, and another tt smart case fan. ill get some filters tomorrow. Should i lap the slk900 or should i be fine? Another thing is the 900 hard to install? Thx

Back