• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nForce2 chipset

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

donuts are good

Registered
Whats the difference among them? All I know is that there is a nForce2, nForce2 400, and nForce2 Ultra 400. Are there any more? Also, which one is the best?

As far as I know:

nForce2: The earliest revision, essentially the same as the Nforce2 Ultra 400, but it does not have official 200mhz FSB support.. (although many have attained 200mhz+ FSB with this chipset easily). Also, it has numerous problems with bios corruption. It would be best to avoid this; if you see a NF2 motherboard with a 1.xx revision number, then it would be an original nForce2. However, the original nForce2 is being phased out, and I don't believe that any new motherboards are made with this chipset, it does not mean that you won't get one if you order a motherboard based on the NF2 however.

nForce2 400: Official 200mhz FSB support, but does not have a dual channel memory controller. Essentially the low end nForce2 chipset. the cheapest out of the three, but still very good performance and high FSBs. Also, if you order a motherboard based on a nForce2 400 chipset, then you won't an older nForce2, as they are different animals.

nForce2 Ultra 400. As mentioned, essentially the same as the original nForce2 (dual channel memory controller), but with much greater stability (no more bios corruption) and official 200mhz FSB support. Generally, people have seen much higher overclocks in terms of FSB with this chipset than with the original nForce2, and motherboards based on this chipset have the highest performance out of the three, but also the highest cost as well. Motherboards that have the nForce2 Ultra 400 chipset usually have a 2.xx revision number.

Overall, the best would be a motherboard based on the nForce2 Ultra 400 chipset, but the nForce2 400 would be a good choice as well, if you are looking to save some money.

(If I missed something, someone correct me.)

Last edited:
"nForce2: The earliest revision, essentially the same as the Nforce2 Ultra 400, but it does not have official 200mhz FSB support.. (although many have attained 200mhz+ FSB with this chipset easily)."

one more thing to add, the ultra has the new southbridge, aka Crush 18d chipset.

Does anyone know which motherboard I should get? I have heard good things about the NF7-S. This board is based on the nForce2 Ultra 400 right?

The Abit NF7-S v2.0 is based on the Nforce2 Ultra 400 chipset.

The Abit NF7-S v1.0, 1.1, and 1.2 are based on the original Nforce2 chipset.

The only store that I can remember that guarantees the v2.0 revision is ExcaliberPC. However, I believe Newegg is selling mainly v2.0 revisions, but they don't give the guarantee.

As I mentioned previously, if a Nforce2 motherboard has a v2.xx revision, then it is based on the Nforce2 Ultra 400

Back