• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lookie What I did Today

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

billstuck

Looky What I did Today

Turned out to be much more work then I expected. My P4 is overclocked and the temps in my Antec 3700 case where higher then I wanted. So I was going to add a fan to the side.

I figured if I was going to cut a fan whole might as well cut a window and put some cheesy lights too :D So a 12 pack and a jigsaw later this is what I ended up with.

Hard to really show off the inside of the case with that huge fan I put on there, but more air was the point so oh well. Functionality over Flash I guess.

I've been at 100% load for an hour and my temps CPU temp is 54C and I'm in Southern California with no A/C, but its kinda late now and cool air is coming in the window.

This Abit IS7 board reads high so I think I'm good on temps.

fb6e93d6.jpg

fb6e93d8.jpg

fb6e93d4.jpg

What kind of fan is that? It's 120mm right? I'm doing the same to my comp tomorrow w/ a Y.S. Tech 131CFM. Looks good BTW!

Thanks. It's a 120mm Antec fan. It moves a ton of air but is pretty loud. I'm going to put one of those RPM controller things on it this week to slow it down.

maybe you could help me mod my case for better air *meaning help me cut it up*... that is if your near OC. :D looks good. your temps are probably about 10C off since your board is abit :rolleyes:.

Banyan said:
maybe you could help me mod my case for better air *meaning help me cut it up*... that is if your near OC. :D looks good. your temps are probably about 10C off since your board is abit :rolleyes:.

I live in OC too :)

Giblet Plus! said:
I see you also cut out the stamped fan grills too. :)

Wow good eye. Yea you can barely see that in the back corner :) Those things created a ton of noise from the air whooshing through so I hacked them out.

i may be cutting a hole on my window over the video card maybe a 92mm or something like that...what would be better? jigsaw or dremel?

Crism said:
i may be cutting a hole on my window over the video card maybe a 92mm or something like that...what would be better? jigsaw or dremel?

Crisim Listen to me when I say this seriously, I started with a dremel and burned through a cutting disk every 30 seconds.

It was bad....real bad.

I said F'it and bought jigsaw. It save me hours not to mention I hav a new power tool to add to my arsenal.

Seriously you can use a dremel if you want, but if your case is steel like mine it will take freakin forever.

billstuck said:

Crisim Listen to me when I say this seriously, I started with a dremel and burned through a cutting disk every 30 seconds.

It was bad....real bad.

I said F'it and bought jigsaw. It save me hours not to mention I hav a new power tool to add to my arsenal.

Seriously you can use a dremel if you want, but if your case is steel like mine it will take freakin forever.

I'm partial to hole saws myself :D

billstuck said:
Thanks. It's a 120mm Antec fan. It moves a ton of air but is pretty loud. I'm going to put one of those RPM controller things on it this week to slow it down.

Well I put the Y.S. Tech on yesterday the thing is NOISY. :eek: Dropped my CPU temps by ~5c though. And now I shouldn't have to worry about my bga RAMs overheating :)

Crism, cutting with a Dremel really isn't that bad. If you're snapping a cut-off wheel every 30 seconds you're applying to much pressure or trying to move too quickly. You just need to take your time with it, and try not to let the wheel catch up.

Mind you, I broke quite a few when I first started, but you get the hang of it. A jigsaw might be easier if you have access, but knowing your Dremel will come in handy, too :)

awfully hard to cut a window with a hole saw caltag....lol...im assuming you meant the fan hole...and cutting a fan hole in plexi is not hard at all with a dremmel....with a carbide bit it works great

well i have an acrylic side panel with my chieftec case and i wanted to cut it for 2 80mm or 2 92mm fans...which should i use?

you could try a dremel....i found that a high rpm one with a carbide grinding bit tends to work well....just make sure you have a steady hand and you clamp down the plexi....and if it starts to melt back off a bit and let it cool...if you smell it burning stop and wait for it to cool also. If this doesn't work....the cutting wheels might...altho ive never tried them...and if you want you can use a jigsaw...altho with plexi it might crack easily.

If you use Lexan glass it won't crack with the jigsaw, but will create a ton of flying dust :)

Back