• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help i cant get to BIOS =(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rara

Registered
I have a HP pavilion system that came with XP home on it i have a copy of XP pro which i want to put on my PC and full wipe the drive, but i cant get in to BIOS when im booting up pushing delete does nothing at all and it just keeps on loading XP as normal. I need to set read form CD Drive first but as i cant get in to BIOS to change the boot up commards Im stuck.
Please help a dum blond out =(

Some machines I have worked on you need to hit F1 instead of del to get into bios. Watch the screen when you boot up and see what key it says you need to hit.

thata the thing there is no start up screen i get the garphics onwe where it tells me my video card but no screen with the RAM test or the cpu speed it just skips right to a pavilion screen then loads XP

Hrm usually there is a button to hit to show the post check details and such isntead of that graphic. I think its tab on alot of machines. Try the F1 though, that could get you into bios. If not hit tab and see if it lets you see the post check messages at least.

F1 worked and now im formatting the other PC thx loads deathnigth your a sweetie *kisskiss hughug*

i have a new problem now i finaly got to format my drive and install XP problem is after it installed everything the main install i mean with the nice commets about XP you get to read after all that was done the screen went black now everytime i boot up it does the XP loading screen and after that it goes back againj any idea's? i really need to get XP on this drive quickly any help would be great
*hugs and kisses*
Rara

what's your HP configuration? you may need to press F5 or F6 during the preinstallation setup...

Whats the model#? does it have raid or mass storage controller?Did the original OS come with a floppy disc as well as the cd.

its a HP pavilion 531w I have no idea if it has a raid or mass storage controller, sorry.
Honestly i have no idea if it came with a floppy disk as when i got the PC it came with no disks at all and a very messed up HDD thats why i needed to reformat in the first place

After the first reboot of Setup, re-enter the BIOS and change the boot order so that IDE-0 is the first boot device...IDE-0 may be called something different in your particular BIOS (set it to whatever the primary boot device is, whether it be IDE-0, HDD-0, SCSI, etc.). Setup is restarting after the first reboot because you still have the CD-ROM set as the first boot device. :)

At hp's site i noticed that it came with no recovery cd at all and the recovery would probably reside on the drive itself.
Have you tried re entering bios and selecting "load setup defaults"?

After farther reading i found this,HP Pavilions that come with Windows XP contain the recovery information on a hidden partition. This partition information will change if Fdisk is used and renders the hidden partition useless. Try to recover from this by typing the following at a DOS command prompt: fdisk /mbr.

If the recovery partition is lost, then the only options are to install a new operating system onto the hard drive or order a recovery CD set and recover from CD. See the "Related support" section below for more information on Windows XP recovery discs

I am assuming you did change boot order back?

Last edited:
hi thnaks for al your help first off =)
Right this is what i did I changed the bios to load the HDD first and i did indeed install a new OS XP pro over. The old drive was wipe because XP home that was running on it was so slow it was evil it took about 2 mins to boot then i had so many problems with simple things like right clicking items would hang for about 30 secounds. I've done everything you have said i loaded up the setup defualts form bios too but still it never loads XP it does the XP screen where the blue little line thing goes across the bar but thats about it. After that black screen.
Im pulling out my hair here =/

Back