• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit NF7 2.0 vs Abit NF7-S 2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brodie

Registered
If I have an audigy soundcard do I really need to spend the extra $40 for the NF7-S?

If you 'll use SATA disks or need IEEE1394 get it, but if you don't (like me) get the NF7. There is no difference in the overclock

well, dont you have to have like a brand new HDD that supports SATA and what is IEEE1394?

IEEE 1394 is something like USB but much faster. SATA is not so popular and there is not so big difference in the performance from ATA133

Brodie said:
ya but i have audigy
Me too.

Considering the two different approaches as you are (a good consideration in IHMO). Typically on-board is cheaper and awhile back it was poorer quality but the quality is improving (in particular sound). Separate cards cost more but allow you to plug the cards into your next board and typically that's it except for a few drivers particular to the new board. If you change hardware often I might argue for separate cards but if you're going to setup and that'll be it for a couple years then the cards become outdated and you'll have to get all new stuff next time anyway.

I went the separate card route about a year ago because the baord manufactors were changing HD controllers, for example RAID versus SATA. If you change brands of motherboards or they change HD controllers you will have to reinstall the OS (some folks do anyway as part of their practice). Again this is a problem only if you're changing hardware frequently.

There really is no correct answer, just what you rather do. :cool:

Last edited:
I bought the "s" version just because I like "bells and whistles". Eventually you'll want(have)to get a board with SATA, but for know it's not a big deal. I would get the cheaper board and wait to get an all options board when PCIexpress comes out.

Back