• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will-or how does this work? Rambus to SDRAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Skiing Squirrel

I have an iwill dual motherboard that has two slots for RAMBUS ram. It supports 2 p3 cpus, and so my original plan was to get two cheap p3s and have a nice little dual box. The plan was going pretty well up until I saw the prices for the Rambus ram. Then, I stumbled on this on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3426534468&category=11152

It converts RAMBUS to SDRAM. How does it work-and would it work with my motherboard. I have an Iwill DS133-R. More info on that can be found herehttp://www.baber.com/baber/411/iwillds133r.htm

No one have ever heard of this motherboard. :p

I am assuming that since Asus makes slot-socket converters for motherboards for P3's, and they work on alot of motherboards, shouldn't this pretty much be universal? Thanks for your help. If this is true, I might be able to make another nice little folder. :)

Doesn't rambus require you to work in pairs? If so you'd need 2 of those I'd immagine. Someone please feel free to correct me.

Back when the 820 boards came out, a few came with adapters like that. There were some stability issues. Main thing i'm thinking of is that it might require some component on the motherboard to work correctly.

Im thinking they would have to work in pairs. My mobo said that it can support up to a gig of ram, so as long as I don't use more than a gig of sdram-I should be good to go.

Gotnorice-when you say stability issues... What kind are you talking about? Also, what kind of components are we talking about?

This is what I found out about the riser cards for the Asus boards... The Asus P3C motherboards came with them or supports them. Heres some info on the P3C:

Slot 1 for Intel® Pentium® III / Pentium® II 350 ~ 1000 MHz
Support 133MHz / 100MHz Front Side Bus (FSB) Processors
Supports ASUS® S370-133 CPU Card(not included) for FC-PGA Coppermine PIII Processors
External Frequencies, Vcore & Vio Adjustable
Intel® 820 Chipset (VC820)
Supports Pentium® III / II Processor CPU 133MHz/100MHz FSB
Supports The Fastest RDRAM Memory with RAMBUS Architecture
Advanced MCH + ICH + FWH Architecture
AGP 4X / AGP Pro Slot for High-end 3D Graphics
AGP Pro Slot with Universal AGP Connector and additional Power Connectors to Support High-end 3D or Workstation Class Graphics Adapter
AGP Pro / AGP 4X / AGP 2X Graphics Adapter Compatible
2 RIMM Sockets for PC800 RDRAM
2 RIMM Sockets to support Max. 1GB RDRAM
RDRAM Speed: PC800 / PC700 / PC600 (Over 400MHz Memory Bus)

The Iwill DS-133-r says:

Supports Dual Slot 1 for Pentium III (Coppermine), Pentium II, and Celeron processors
Intel 820 DP AGPset
2 x RIMM Sockets Supports up to 1 GB of DRDRAM

They have the same chipset, so I don't see why it wont work. They are basically identical boards too. Any further comments on why it shouldn't work? I am thinking about getting it, but don't want to waste my money.

Soemthing about the MCH being buggy, which is why they recalled them back in the day. The work fine with rambus but have issues with SDRAM via the MCH. Don't know the details, as i've only ever ran rambus in the 820 boards I have.

Back