• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7V8X-X voltage problems.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Karifan

I think I may have determined the problem here, but I wanted to confirm it here anyways.

I tried several different psu/s from a cheap 300 watt psu that came with the case to a 420 watt psu that I had running a dual cpu system(just fine) and eventually I bought a new Fortran 300 watt psu.

The added devices are minimal so I know that there is no actual load on the psu.

The board: Asus A7V8X-X
CPU: AMD Athlon(Thunderbird) 1400 mhz @ 1553 mhz (11.5x135mhz fsb)
CPU Fan:ThermalTake 7 Volcano 7+
HD: Maxtor 120 gig 7200rpm 2mb cache
CD-ROM:Toshiba 48x dvd
PSU: Fortran 300
FANS: 2 case fans one is an intake the other an exhaust
Mem:256mb DDR266 and 128mb DDR266 Samsung

The problem is that my 5+ volt rail is showing about 4.89 if the cpu is overclocked a bit, and it shows 4.91 if the cpu is running stock.
The mother board has only a standard psu connector for the 12 volt rail.

This leads me to believe that the problem is with the mobo, I tried a different mobo the Asus A7V8X and that worked fine, the 5+ volt rails was showing about 4.99 which is much better with the same components.

Is there anything I am missing with the settings on this mobo or should I start the RMA process? (I checked to make sure everything was set to default as far as cpu overvolt and the rest of the settings)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have not noticed that the psu connector requires a good shove to connect, but I will check it later today and will let you know, Hoot's post is incredible though and incase I need to do it, I will. I do think that this is an issue with the mobo still bcs I have tried 4 different Asus mobo's with the same 4 psu/s and 3 of them are fine except for this one. I do not want to do any mods since the mobo is new and I can just RMA it or return it(its less than a month old)

Thx again, I will let you know how it goes.

Back