• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-S V2 Owners Whats your Highest FSB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bugeyes

I'm interested to see what other owners are getting with there NF7's
My highest totally stable FSB seems to be around 220 MHZ
with DC, XMS 3500 256MB's X 2 @ C2.0,3,3,7. it dosn't seem to go any higher even with looser timeing, so I'm guessing the northbridge is just about maxed out!
Please include what type of ram you use and whether you have any Voltage mods!

XP 2100+ @ 2200 MHZ on 1.75 volt
Antec True Power 550 watt.

I am running at 220 FSB with 2x256MB XMS 3200 DC @ 2.5-3-3-11 with 2.7 Vmem. CPU running at 11*220 with 1.80 Vc. I haven't really tried to go any higher yet (other than trying 227 FSB, but would not boot).

Some of things you can do to reach higher FSB speeds are:

CPU Interface - Enabled in BIOS
APIC - Disabled in BIOS prior to installing OS
166 FSB L12 mod
Try flashing back to BIOS v1.0
Vdd volt mod

THIS thread discusses some of the above issues.

L12 trick (better do it with wire) really helps! Now i can boot with 240Mhz FSB. CPU Interface is stopping me after 215 (bios 18). VDD mod is very risky! It's useful when trying to reach 'the sky' with the FSB. 1.7v is enough

Also put a heatsink on the south bridge because it's getting VERY hot in the eXtreme o/c.

I've made this heat sink from unsable diskette:
sb_mod.jpg

well....thanks :).....it's working damn good! Without it it's imposible to reach high fsb. This chip is getting so hot that i can keep my finger on it for a second

Im running 220MHz DC with 2x256mb Kingston HyperX on BIOS 17 memory timings are 5-3-3-2 on 2.7v (I dont know if it need that much, I just dont have the time to change it and see if it will still go at 2.6) the northbridge is my problem now though, it cant do more than 220 stable (1.7v) more voltage required!!!

I just did the L12 bridge mod to my cpu and now its stable at 235MHZ with C 2.0, 3, 3, 7.

mem=2.9 volts
chip set=1,7 volts
Vcore=1.75 volts
multiplier=9.5

prime stable = 6 hours
memtest 86 v3.0 no errors 32 passes

With my Mushkin Black Level 1 PC3200, I'm running 208 MHz @ 2-2-2-11 timings in dual channel. Could probably run higher at 2-3-2, but I'd rather have the timings. No errors in Memtest after 12 hours.

Bugeyes said:
I just did the L12 bridge mod to my cpu and now its stable at 235MHZ with C 2.0, 3, 3, 7.

mem=2.9 volts
chip set=1,7 volts
Vcore=1.75 volts
multiplier=9.5

prime stable = 6 hours
memtest 86 v3.0 no errors 32 passes

Do you have CPU Interface enable?

May I ask
1. What bios version are you running for the above results
2. What was the highest stable FSB without the L12 mod.
3. When did you acquire the board and what was the bios version and highest FSB obtained with that bios?

I ask this is for collecting some data points on the impacts of bios version, FSB_Sense/L12 mod, date ... on the highest stable FSB of rev 2.0 board.

I saw your first post, it was at 220 MHz. What version of bios was that running?

Last edited:
climbski said:
233 stable both resistor mods and L12 mod.

Do you have CPU Interface enable?

May I ask
1. What bios version are you running for the above results
2. What was the highest stable FSB without the L12 mod.
3. When did you acquire the board and what was the bios version and highest FSB obtained with that bios?

I ask this is for collecting some data points on the impacts of bios version, FSB_Sense/L12 mod, date ... on the highest stable FSB of rev 2.0 board.

Last edited:
xboy said:
L12 trick (better do it with wire) really helps! Now i can boot with 240Mhz FSB. CPU Interface is stopping me after 215 (bios 18). VDD mod is very risky! It's useful when trying to reach 'the sky' with the FSB. 1.7v is enough

What version of bios are you running now with the L12 mod to get high FSB. What is the stable FSB now with CPUI enable?

When did you get the rev 2.0 board?

SiSoftware Sandra Tested 08/11/2003 FSB set @233MHz

Dual Channel, 2-2-3-11, Corsair XMS LL PC3200 2x256mb
Ram BW Int Buff :3581MB/s
Ram BW Float Buff :3342MB/s

Int Buff aEMMX/aSSE (Integer STREAM) Results Breakdown
Assignment : 3601MB/s
Scaling : 3593MB/s
Addition : 3557MB/s
Triad : 3574MB/s
Data Item Size : 8-bytes
Buffering Used : Yes
Offset Displacement Used : Yes
Bandwidth Efficiency : 96% (estimated)

Float Buff aEMMX/aSSE (Float STREAM) Results Breakdown
Assignment : 3598MB/s
Scaling : 3375MB/s
Addition : 3212MB/s
Triad : 3186MB/s
Data Item Size : 8-bytes
Buffering Used : Yes
Offset Displacement Used : Yes
Bandwidth Efficiency : 89% (estimated)

Test Status
Memory Used by Test : 341MB
NUMA Support : No
SMP Test : No
Total Test Threads : 1
SMT Test : No
Dynamic MP/MT Load Balance : No
Processor Affinity : No

Chipset 1
Model : Abit Computer Corp nForce2 AGP Controller
Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 234MHz (468MHz data rate)
Width : 64-bit
Maximum Bus Bandwidth : 3744MB/s (estimated)

Logical/Chipset 1 Memory Banks

Features
MMX Technology : Yes
SSE Technology : Yes
EMMX - Extended MMX Technology : Yes

hitechjb1 said:

What version of bios are you running now with the L12 mod to get high FSB. What is the stable FSB now with CPUI enable?

When did you get the rev 2.0 board?

Bios version is 18
cpui is enabled
I got my board new 2 weeks ago!

Bugeyes said:

Bios version is 18
cpui is enabled
I got my board new 2 weeks ago!

Interesting, nice overclocking on the FSB. I saw some posts said bios 18 is not stable and had to swap back to 17.

How much did the L12 mod help the highest stable FSB.

xboy said:
well....thanks :).....it's working damn good! Without it it's imposible to reach high fsb. This chip is getting so hot that i can keep my finger on it for a second

I stuck an old i486 HSF on mine...clears my GF4 Ti4200 no sweat, but a longer card might not, depending on capacitors on the card... The fan lead on it reaches that header next to the main ATX power socket easily... ;)

Another reason to strip those old rigs....:D Sure, that 486SX might not do much for ya...but the heatsink on it might help ya out. Anytime I see an old rig like that in the trash on the side of the road, I snag it and strip off anything remotely usable... It's amazing how many motherboard jumpers one can accumulate after just a couple old PCs...:p

Back on topic.... no mods on mine (yet), still running at 11 x 200.

B.

Back