• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Running DDR 400 mhx below 400 mhz.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ghost_shell

Registered
I havn't tried this yet but was wondering if anyone else has.

I am running Corsair XMS PC3500 x 512 MB sticks x 2 sticks ( total of 1 GB). The best I was able to do as far as timings is 2-5-3-2 in Double DDR mode. The fastest that the memory is stable at is 210 mhz. ( Prime95 torture test)

I was wondering if changeing the memory divider from 1:1 or 5:4 to 3:2... and increasing the FSB but lowering the mhz on the memory from 210 to something more like 180 or 189 mhz would actually result in better performance.

If I run the FSB at 283 mhx ( this is a 2.4C CPU) and the memory at 189 mHz ... the resulting OC would be a 2.4 Ghz CPU running at 3.4 Ghz ( 283 X 12 ) but the memory woulb be running at 189 mhx or DDR 378.

I was planning on running Prime95 benchmark to see if the 256 FFT time decreased to measure my overall system performance.

I am also under the understanding that even higher scores with PCMark and Sissoft Sandra with a higher FSB but worse memory timings may result in higher overall scores on these benchmarks but a better score on Prime95 benchmark is actualy better than a better score on the other 2 benchmarks? Does that make sense , I read it in a beginners guide.

Generally gaining more CPU speed has a much bigger impact on performance than memory speed. If raising the CPU:MEM ratio gets an extra 300+ Mhz out of your 2.4C, then it's definitely worth it.

Yes, the Prime95 benchmark is more sensitive to memory bandwidth than PCMark or Sandra. But getting the CPU core speed up will still improve your Prime95 benchmark significantly.

Back