• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need suggestions.......

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ratts

my systems information, scan disk, and disk cleanup seem to not work no more......system info just shows blank screen and scan disk runs then blue screen of death and disk cleanup just locks up.......what the heck!!!!.........i rescently uninstalled a bunch of programs and games in which i do believe this started the mess......cause during last few uninstalls i got a blue screen and when windows restarted scan disk auto ran which freekin fixed some stuff and windows loaded.......then a few restarts later scan disk has been running automatically and fixing stuff then blam finally now a blue screen after scan disk runs......eeeeeeeekkkkkkkk.......windows does load it just erks me that those three services now fail to work properly.......could i load xp pro disk and try to repair the install??? restore options is a no go cause i deleted them and shut the service down......ooops......dont ask......oh....i did find out that the compression part of disk cleanup was the culprit with it locking up...i was able to delete that registry setting and it works now but no compressing files........

If you are having all these problems your best bet would be to run a full system scan for viruses (if you are able to do this) Once you have found to be virus free or deleted anything you have found run a repair install

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

Note: you will have to reinstall all the windows update.

Hope this helps!

no viruses......

as for installing all updates??? you mean service pack also.....cause if thats the case i am sol.....my asus nforce2 driver package is flacky with the service pack.....has something to do with usb 2.0 driver and microsoft update has to be installed one after another before restart.......something like that....i guess i will live with these issues until i get the balls to reformat again......so much work!!!! gosh darn scan disk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps......i also found another culprit of this issue......my 3.3v battery was going bad and power light was flashing......this happened about 4 months ago with same problems......i was getting corrupted system due to battery......i know it sounds strange but i see that this dead battery and corrupted hard drives are happening at same time.............hmmmmmmmmmmm.......i am overclocking and raiding.........but no troubleshooting master just whiner!!!!:p

i have too.......

i have to install service pack so i can use usb2.0 in which i am.....got so much usb junk........thanx for help....now i need to transfer all important stuff off just in case scan disk does so more damage.......

Back