• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cleaning a laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wipe0ut

Registered
Do we need to clean the inside of a laptop ?

I currently have a pentium 100 which is fanless, and i'm getting soon a compaq presario with a duron 1ghz which has active cooling, the last one is approx. 1 year old, i'm wondering if the inside required some kind of cleaning, and if I would apply artic silver on the cpu, would that increase battery life? (less heat needs to be dissipated, fan will spin less often?)

Do you think I'd rather "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" ?

well my lappy aint nothing special, its a celly 700 and i havent cleaned it since new, the batt dont hold **** so........

but to be honest i dont think cleaning it will help the batt. because the fan on mine hardly ever kicks in.

I tough it would not hurt, but since I might break something (I work with desktops, but I never opened a lap besides the ram bay)

Everything in a laptop is proprietary and it would be extremely hard to do custom cooling. Plus, the BIOS in a laptop normally doesn't support any overclocking.

Back