• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

House fan duct mod?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

subconscious

Registered
I was wondering how well it would work if you just took a huge, fairly quiet house fan, placed it across the room, and made a tube capturing the air from it, leading directly to your heatsink, gradually funnelling the air to a slot the size of your heatsink fan. Any ideas on if it's practical or problems there would be with it?

That's what I was doing with my computer before I fried the motherboard :( not that they're related though. It works really well actually, dropped temps from 54°C under load @ 1.5gig to 46°C @ 1.7gig. It may look funny but it works, I'm going to mod the case and put some larger fans on it just so I can keep the side off (my variation on the 'tube' idea, just open the case and blow air into it).

Well I got a vantec aeroflow recently but the fan died in like 10 seconds so I had to send it back, but I decided when it comes back I'm going to replace the stupid TMD fan that I now don't trust.

I want performance of the tornado or better but I don't want the sound of it in my room so i'm thinking of quieter solutions and right now it's either the house fan or taking a high cfm low db 120mm fan and using an adapter to funnel the air onto the 70mm fan slot on the heatsink. I'm open to any relatively quiet suggestions for cooling my chip to get a good OC though.

Back