• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anybody seen and nForce2 board ... that is NOT locked?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bruno

As long as I'm stirrin' it. I thought I'd bring this one up. I like controversy.

I say that ALL nForce2 mobos are locked. Some offer an option to overclock the agp. But I contend, all PCI are locked at 33mhz and agp at 66 unless the agp option is offered. No one can prove otherwise and the quotes they come up w/ are ancient history from idiots that no nothing about the product.

Just to put a nail in your spam dragster's tyre, the manual for the K7N2 Delta does NOT have a PCI/AGP lock. No option in BIOS.

There was a long thread abot this earlier... No conclusions could be drawn. It seems like most K7N2 Deltas these days do in fact have a PCI lock. There won't be any option in the BIOS, btw. Someone from MSI reported to Anandtech that it lacks a PCI lock, but then moderators at the MSI forums said that that's bull, and I've been seeing a handful of Deltas reach speeds which would most likely not be possible without a PCI lock.

PCI locking is a function the board- an extra quartz crystal. A BIOS flash cannot give an unlocked board a PCI lock. My guess is that there were multiple revisions of the board.

I found your thread - and the lovely helpful mods. C627627 posted there along with Hurk

I smell BS - If they have a super PCI lock then why isn't the option available in the BIOS? Unless a) it is on 24/7 (but then why in the manual does it say "keep spread spectrum disabled when overclocking the AGP bus"? or b) does it have no 2nd crystal?

I think we need a REALLY close up pic of the mainboards - all the revisions.

the only thing that stinks is the false informatition originally released. They're all pci locked. The only option offered on any nForce2 is the one to unlock the agp.

All other opinions I disagree with. Go back... and show me a
DO-DO Bird that didn't lay an egg.

It is benefical to keep an open mind about things like these. True, there is strong evidence showing that the MSI does have a PCI lock. Even if it doesn't, it would still have a 1/6 PCI divider, which would be effectively the same for anything short of very extreme front side bus overclocking.

Phugbox almost took one for the team here
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=216639
confirming a PCI lock for us.

Leadtek is the only one we're not sure has a PCI lock.

The following nForce2 boards have a confirmed PCI lock:
Epox, Abit, Asus, Chaintech, Soltek, MSI

It is unclear whether Leadtek nForce2 has a PCI lock.

Newer MSI nforce2 Ultra 400 mobos do have have a PCI lock, but a very small number of initial MSI nForce2 boards may or may not have had it. All Ultra boards of all brands have it.

If there's a confirmation for Leadtek, we would be looking at pretty much all nForce2 mobos having a PCI lock.

c627627 said:
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=1759&p=29
"12/04/02 UPDATE: MSI sends word that the K7N2-L indeed does not have a PCI bus lock at 33MHz."

MSI officially informing Anandtech its original nForce2 board does not have a PCI lock.

Last edited:
L337 M33P said:
I think we need a REALLY close up pic of the mainboards - all the revisions.

Hm, interesting, please explain how you would be able to tell from a pic.

The schematic of a motherboard can tell us whether or not it has the additional crystal. Maybe this is what he's talking about.

A member over at my local message board has got his MSI K7N2 Delta-L up to over 2.2Ghz. This is relevant because I don't think it has the 1/6th divider. We are still trying to get him to test the PCI/AGP speeds.

MSI Deltas have a PCI lock for sure. It's the first nForce2 model K7N2-L that Anandtech was talking about. Frankly, I'm close to believing all nForce2's ever had a PCI lock. Whoever told Anandech they didn't (in December 2002, mind you) may not have had it right.

Back