• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to confirm correct BIOS flash?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Franky

I'm upgrading to an xp2400 cpu and Abit says I need to flash a new BIOS which I downloaded along with the flash utility. When should I do this, before I put the new cpu in or after, and if before, how can I confirm I've done it correctly? I've tried to do it now, and each time I get "Cmos checksum error", and when rebooting, the new ID number does not appear on the bootup screen. Thanks!

If you have it running *WITH* the new CPU, one might think it's already supported without having to flash the BIOS.

I have run into a situation where a CPU wasn't officially "supported", and the system would run, albeit unbelievably slowly. Eons ago, I had a mobo I wanted to put a Celeron 300A in, but it wasn't supported, and I needed a P II to flash it. It ran, but.... I tried installing W98a on it, and after 22+ hours of waiting for the OS to install, I hit the "Cancel" button...:rolleyes:

The BIOS should be flashed before installing the CPU. Confirm the BIOS flashed correctly by looking for the BIOS ID in the POST screen, or use a utility like SiSoft Sandra that will be able to tell you what BIOS version is installed.

B.

What procedure are you using to flash??? Are you doing it with the windows based program or using a floppy disk to boot from and flashing from there??

Lvcoyote

Thanks, everybody!

Maybe I've gotten confused (NOT hard to do) with what the NEW ID number should be when I've flashed correctly (er, which I may accidently have already done....)

From Abit: http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/biosdriver.php?categories=1&model=32 I'm getting the KX7-333R BIOS B6 (version B6). IF I've flash correctly, the new BIOS ID # (seen at the bottom of the bootup screen) should end with "xxxxxB6", correct?

OR, how do I know what the new ID # should be?

Thanking you.

Back