• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which temp matters most?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

feyo

Registered
I just set up MBM because I was concerned that asus probe was not accurate in its temp readings because BIOS temp readings were quite a bit higher. In MBM, I have a reading for the Socket and one for the Diode. Which temperature are most people referring to in the forums when discussing CPU temps?

I'm running 51 and 38 degrees (idle); 60 and 44 degrees (under load), respectively for the diode and socket.

System:
Barton 2800+
sk-7 with tt 80mm smartfan II
two antec 120mm smartfans
one antec 120mm fan
voltage 1.75
o'clocked about 150 mhz

Do I have anything to worry about?

Your temps seem kinda high to me. Try reseating your heatsink. Also, if your system is stable with all your saying then there shouldn't be anything to worry about really.

I was a bit concerned about the mounting of the heatsink. Just installed the new one a couple of days ago. So, is it the diode temp that looks kind of high, or both?

What board you using? Go here & look at the mobo list to see what sensors you should select in MBM. I agree with rugbyroy that you should reseat your HS & make sure to use the proper amount of HS compound. How's the airflow through your case BTW?

feyo said:
Which temperature are most people referring to in the forums when discussing CPU temps?

You want the diode temps. CPUs nowadays come with an on-die (diode) sensor. However, they still read a bit low as they are not placed on the hottest part of the core. The socket temps don't mean anything. You should only be looking at your case(system) temps and your CPU diode temps.

feyo said:
I just set up MBM because I was concerned that asus probe was not accurate in its temp readings because BIOS temp readings were quite a bit higher.

I've noticed this too. Does anyone know whether PC probe is indeed inacurate, the BIOS is inacurate, or the Temps when you're in the BIOS just happen to be higher than the temps when in the OS?

For me, the BIOS seems to register about 8 degrees higher.

Re: Re: Which temp matters most?

fibbi said:

I've noticed this too. Does anyone know whether PC probe is indeed inacurate, the BIOS is inacurate, or the Temps when you're in the BIOS just happen to be higher than the temps when in the OS?

For me, the BIOS seems to register about 8 degrees higher.

Asus boards are kinda infamous for reporting the wrong temp. The rig I'm typing this on reads 10°C lower than it's supposed to (Asus TUV4X). I have to adjust MBM 10°C upwards so I can get an accurate reading. Some boards hoever read higher than the reported temps.

Back