• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cl 2.5 and cl 3 question(s)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

axegrinderbill

Hi. I have a stick of 512 pc3200 cl3 kingston ram. Will it run in dual-channel mode if i bought another stick of cl2.5 ram? if so, is it as good or better than running dual channel with a cl3 stick? Also, can I oc this single stick of cl 3 ram to run at 2.5 or 2 speeds? if so, can i still oc my processors fsb?

Yes, you will be able to run in dual channel with any two sticks of the same size, as long as your board supports it. You would be best of with a lower latency stick, just in case your current one is capable of running at CL2.5 or CL2, which it should be capable of. I'd suggest playing around with your current memory to get a feel of what type of memory would match it the best. For example, if its capable of running at DDR400 CL2.5, you'd be best off matching it with a stick of CL2.5; if not, then CL2.5 would be a waste of money, and a CL3 would be more cost-effective.

Back