• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermaltake A1165 Active RAM Cooling Kit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mi6

Hey there, im just wondering im upgrading my computer with some new toys and im wondering if anyone ever tried puthing the Thermaltake A1165 Active RAM Cooling Kit on the P4's Pc 800 Rams. from what i understand they should fit normaly but on the ram itself there is allready a thin plate of metal on the ram...so im just wondering will it still fit on my present ram ?

my second question is does the kit come with just one fixture for the ram or do i need to buy others ? like the Vantec DDR Iceberq ALUMINUM Heat Spreader for the other 3 slots ?

Link for the kit http://www.bigfootcomputers.com/Mer...PROD&Product_Code=1428HSTT&Category_Code=0050

Link for the Vantec DDR
http://www.bigfootcomputers.com/Mer...PROD&Product_Code=1428HSTT&Category_Code=0050

i dont know but they should fit but there is really no difference between those and the one u clip on to your ram that fan does almost nothing to cool your ram

Active / ram heatsinks are a waste of time unless you just want to dress up the computer for a window display. There is enough air movement in MOST computer cases to displace the heat from the ram. IMHO, save your $

ah okey, just wondering i saw them and im upgrading my cooling on my system and just wanted your opinions thats for the info ; )

might get them just for fun for my window kit.....we will see ; )

I don't see how a window improves upon the concept. If I was peeking into a PC that featured those sinks I'd just be thinking "omg noob" or some such haha. :D

FIZZ3 said:
I don't see how a window improves upon the concept. If I was peeking into a PC that featured those sinks I'd just be thinking "omg noob" or some such haha. :D

lmao, hehe okey okey i get the point. i just thaught maybe they would improve the cooling. but thats for your input.

Here is what I think would be a better way to cool ram than that:

_____
[____] <-- fan
| | | | }
| | | | }<-- RAM
| | | | }

| | | } Direction of Air
\/\/\/ }

That I think would be the best way to cool them, becuase the air would be blowing over them all, and it wouldn't take up the space that those active cooling kits use width wise, maybe keeping you from putting two of them (now why would you even want one :D) next to each other. You could mount it on the broad sides of the RAM, but then the first stick it hits would be getting the best cooling, and the other air might go around, and it would get more heat, then would lose some of its ability to cool the rest of the sticks. The last bit I said could be wrong, but I haven't taken too many science classes :D

Fold and Frag on
Brian

OK, I am the lame person to own one of these and I would not pay $18.50 for them.

If you really want them, get them off ebay, you can usually get the shipping covered if you buy something else from the seller. Mine came with my case that I got off ebay so they were virtually free so I used them. When I get the money I'll swap them out for a gig of some Corsair or something similar.

i think im just going to get a spare 3 pin fan and attach it to my ram so it cools it a bit. the rig seems nice but mabe not worth it....

a little bit of airflow does wonders. its an esoteric bit of experience, really.

however, RAM doesn't get that hot. and unless you're volting your ram at around 3v, its not going to get hot.

i put this on my friends computer for a try. its just another thermaltrash product. literally. if it was like for free sure. for money.... nah

Back