• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will high temps that run stably have any negative affect... at all?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BeanTownBrawler

Im testing my barton 2500 at 200x11 and its gettin up there. Right now its 52 c while running prime 95 and the ac is blasting in my house. I want to keep it at this speed, but I also want the comp to last. Is this safe?

It wont damage your CPU unless it goes over the rated temp, but its better for electrons to move at lower temps anyway so its good to keep temps down. 52°C is definitely safe though I had mine at 60°c for a while and its fine.

Yeah, it's safe, but I'd keep an eye on the temps during high loads and watch your ambient temps.

After a few hours, my monitor will raise my room temp by at least 10 degrees, so I have to keep that in mind when running my few air cooled PCs.

The lower you can get it the better. But, your temps are in hte safe zone. The only risk you run, is burning out the chip prematurely (inherrent risk of overclocking, may or may not happen), but by the time that happens (if it does), it'll be way out of date, and you'll most likely be using it as folding rig or something.

Well thats the thing... i want to know what type of long term damage is goin on. I want this thing to last, and by last I mean, if possible forever. I have a computer from 11 years ago that still works, so I dont see why this isnt feesible.

I have two AMD XP's that during the summer regularly run that hot. Sometimes in the winter when we had -15-25F temps outside I would run the window fan in my room on full blast and got my pc way down. This winter I am going to just move it outside and run folding or something and see how high it can go.

Thank You,
Daniel

Ok, last summer, when I still had a tbird cpu, I would turn my ac off when I went to work, and leave my pc on to host a CS server, I would come home and check my temps and I would have 75-80 Celcious, just about every time. That chip is still working, my mom uses that computer. So dont worry about high temps, because your not running it at its max or anywhere near its max. I personally could careless about temps anymore, I overclocked my current chip using an SLK800 and a regular antec sleeve fan on the sink.

Oh and before I forget, Arabarabian when you put that pc outside, your gonna see some really low temps ;) I left my window open for a long time one day last winter and got my agoia y cpu down to about 20 celcious, and it was right next to my radiator (which I left on by accident) I really wish I didnt, would have probably been alot lower.

please specify if you guys are referring to core temps, or socket temps..

i assume you are all referring to socket temps, as i don't think the nf7 reports core temps.

if your socket temps are 52c.....i wonder what the core is at.

at the moment, my pc is running over 2 vcore, and my core is at 58c full load, running f@h, but the socket is 36c.

as you raise your voltage, your socket may rise a few degrees, but the core will rise much more rapidly. at stock speeds, and vcore, my core is only a few degrees higher than the socket, and doesn't go much higher at load, but at 2 vcore and higher, i see a 20+ c rise.

so, if you don't know the core temps, you have to then guess based on what the socket temps are, and the vcore.

as for expecting to overclock , and overvolt, and also expect the chip to last forever, is just asking too much out of the chip....imo

;)

Hey you've just given me an idea - next winter Mr PC goes outside :D and there is a nice outlet there too :D

BTW my Palomino is currently running 67C, and has done for the past year so I don't think it impacts performance or stability at non-oc speeds, but I dunno whether my CPU will die in the next 2 years with these temperatures.

I dunno if its socket or core temps... if its socket, does that mean the core is a lot higher? I can restart and check the bios, but I'm pretty sure its the core.

My hs fan is the tmd one that comes with the aeroflow. It has a cfm of 35. If I slap a more powerful one, lets say 50 cfm on there, will it make a noticable difference? How about noise?

I just want this thing to last at least 4 years.

Yes if you went from 35CFM to 50CFM there would be a noticable difference in temps. However, you need to make sure that you have some AS3 slapped between the core and heatsink. Sound? Well of course its going to get louder, but personally, I don't think it would be too loud (I'm running a 50CFM on my CPU and 2- 39CFM case fans).

Back