• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte 7vaxp and overclocking.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

walkitiki

This is the first computer i've built and right now its running fine, but I'd like to take my first step into the world of overclocking. I've got an amd athlon xp2200+ and the fsb is set to 100mhz and the multiplier is at 18. I'd like to get this system to be around 2 or 2.1 ghz if that would be possible, I'm really new at this so try to bear with me. thanks.

_tiki

Overclocking to the maxium!

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

I've the same mobo with an xp2000+. So i'd suggest you to start overclocking by adjusting the fsb first of all cause it will increase the machine's overoll performance. U mention it's fsb is set to 100 so why u don't adjust it to 133 or even 140 or more acording to the other components u have? Mine I'm running 140 fsb with 13x multi around 1820MHz. But my air cooling performance is not very sufficent cause it shoot up to 60c when in playing compu games.
So adjusting the multi and fsb u can achive some acceptable speed. what are your other compu info like ram speed and vga card? Anyway with sufficent air cooling you can easily reach out to 2GHz. hoping to hear from you again your results.

Like Bubble says you should start by incresing the fsb

this is a list of steps i would take to get the best out of you current system

1. lower the multiplier to its lowest setting
2. raise the fsb untill the system becomes unstable
3. lower the fsb by a few mhz so that the system becomes rock soid stable again
4. then raise the multiplyer untill the system becomes unstable
5. then reduce it by 1 or 0.5

it may take a few hour but it should give you a 100% stable system and should mean you are getting the most out of your hardware. try to remember that the speed of your fsb is more important than having a high multiplier

ps. dont forget to keep it nice and cool

Have fun and WELCOME TO THE FORUMS! :D

Thanks guys, my comp is up and running much better than before, I havent overclocked it yet (I will as soon as I get some more fans and a better CPU heatsink) but right now its running at 135 mhz fsb with the multiplier set at 13.5. Thanks again for your help.

Glad you see you're running the cpu in the proper fsb range now. Just curious. Do you know the stepping of your 2200+?

Back