• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does dual channel benefit game performance much.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Lithan said:
No.
I like monkeys.

If you dont have anything helpful to say dont say anything at all
please

Thats a good question How can it not 2gig transfer vs 4 gig and so on

But again I think most lag in game is caused simply by just not having enough ram. Take PlanetSide to example it takes up about 900+ mb of ram to run and IS NOT PLAYABLE with 256 and barly is with 512 i dont think that 2gig transfer or 4 gig transfer will help it with 512

but with 1gig its plays just fine (PlanetSide hates to page file)

'No' is very helpful.

I've used dual channel ddr. FSB at 210 single channel on my a7n8x was faster than fsb at 205 dual channel. I consider that to mean dual channel is crap on an amd platform.

Mhypertext said:

If you dont have anything helpful to say dont say anything at all
please

Thats a good question How can it not 2gig transfer vs 4 gig and so on

But again I think most lag in game is caused simply by just not having enough ram. Take PlanetSide to example it takes up about 900+ mb of ram to run and IS NOT PLAYABLE with 256 and barly is with 512 i dont think that 2gig transfer or 4 gig transfer will help it with 512

but with 1gig its plays just fine (PlanetSide hates to page file)

This isn't really relevant at all.....DC does not mean double memory, it means in theory double the bandwidth. However with an AMD system the performance is not even close to double, it's more like 5% at most. An intel system is where DC actualy gives a performance difference that's noticeable.

Lithan was right and wrong....right about DC, but wrong about monkeys....cuz only I can liek monkeys

I would think that it would be helpful, but the benifit could be very hard to see. If you are playing a very demanding game, Unreal 2003 for example, then you could run into a bottle neck in a number of places (video card, processor, memory, etc.). So running DC could be allowing the game to run smoother, but if your video card is not up to par you would not see a difference.

If you took away all other factors and were only looking at memory then the answer would be yes. Having DC would be helpful. More on an Intel board then a AMD, but it would be helpful.

Not much. Today's CPUs are pretty much saturated with as much data as they can crunch. Even doubling the bandwidth of RAM gives minimal performance gains.

Jarlax said:
I would think that it would be helpful, but the benifit could be very hard to see. If you are playing a very demanding game, Unreal 2003 for example, then you could run into a bottle neck in a number of places (video card, processor, memory, etc.). So running DC could be allowing the game to run smoother, but if your video card is not up to par you would not see a difference.

If you took away all other factors and were only looking at memory then the answer would be yes. Having DC would be helpful. More on an Intel board then a AMD, but it would be helpful.

This interests me because I'm in the process of getting my Granite Bay/9700 Pro system fully stable in games, UT2003 in particular.
I think I'm most of the way there, and spent some time last night getting my memory more stable (running Memtest, upping vdimms, etc...).
One thing I've noticed is that my post screen and Cpu-Z say I'm running in single channel.
I've made sure that I'm in dimm slots A1 and A2, and have reseated the sticks twice.
It bothers me, of course, that I'm not in dual-channel, but if it will help me stabilize in games then I definitely need to get there.
Any thoughts?

Are you sure that the 2 sticks are exactly the same (size, timings, etc.)? If the sticks are not prefectly matched then DC will not work. At least as a general rule.

That's interesting... I thought it would benefit AMD chipsets a lot more as opposed to Intels because the quad pumped intels already have super high bandwith already. Guess not...

Just wondering because i'm building my friend a system and it is coming up about $20 extra to get 2 256 sticks rather than 1 512. The system is almost purely gaming (lan party.)

Very interesting link mspec3.

That's interesting... I thought it would benefit AMD chipsets a lot more as opposed to Intels because the quad pumped intels already have super high bandwith already.

I think it is more the exact opposite. Because of the high bandwidth the Intel boards can take better advantage of the memory sticks pushing them harder then the AMD.

Same reason why RDRAM was only made for Intel rather than AMD (aside from price)... the extra memory bandwidth can be used by a P4, but it's useless (well mostly) for AMD.

Jarlax said:
Are you sure that the 2 sticks are exactly the same (size, timings, etc.)? If the sticks are not prefectly matched then DC will not work. At least as a general rule.

The sticks were bought as a matched twin-pack specifically for DC use, so, yes.

If the sticks are matched then I am not sure why they would not be running in DC? Best thing I can suggest is that you check the motherboard manual and see if there is anything that need to be set. Maybe it is as simple as a BIOS setting.

Please don't take that as I don't think you know what you are doing, but every motherboard is different and sometimes it is a little thing that you never expect. :)

Yep, time to dig deeper, as you say.

And it really would be like me to obsess over the fine details and miss something stupidly obvious. In fact, the next chance I get I'm going to try using the B1/B2 dimm slots, to see if that matters.

I should have done this the first time, but I have a terrible time getting to my dimm slots underneath all the WC tubing, and was grateful just to get them back reseated in their original places.

(laziness) + (troubleshooting) = 0 results.

I'll double-check the manual tonight; thanks for the thoughts...

Tuhran said:
Yep, time to dig deeper, as you say.

And it really would be like me to obsess over the fine details and miss something stupidly obvious. In fact, the next chance I get I'm going to try using the B1/B2 dimm slots, to see if that matters.

I should have done this the first time, but I have a terrible time getting to my dimm slots underneath all the WC tubing, and was grateful just to get them back reseated in their original places.

(laziness) + (troubleshooting) = 0 results.

I'll double-check the manual tonight; thanks for the thoughts...

Did you try the A1 + B1 slots? Most 4 slot DC mobos use slots 1 & 3 and 2 & 4 for DC operation.

My experience with DC shows a huge performance benefit for SETI@Home. I have an AOpen nForce2 mobo with a 1600+@1737MHz with 2-256MB PC2100 modules at 2-2-2-5@302MHz. My SETI times with this rig are avg of 3:02....which are a LOT lower than non-DC mobos with faster CPU's. I really like DC!

Back