• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-S siren...again

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kct2

My NF7-S v2 just started with the two tone siren. It has done it before, but was able to wait alittle while and it would work ok. This time (with the 18 bios) I cannot get the computer to start again. I have tried pulling the power, using the bios reset jumper, holding the 'insert' key when turning it on. Nothing has stopped the siren when I hit the power button. Has anyone else experienced this? What did you do to fix it?

BTW - I did use the search, but couldn't find any post where someone was unable to boot the computer at all, or a solution to this problem.

System specs

NF7-S rev.2
2100+ tbred-b @ 2166 (1.75v)
512mb crucial pc2700
radeon 9700
antec tp 480
HD, CD, floppy

locate the jumper by the cmos batery and move it to the other position..open your eyes as wide as possible and wait untill they water then move the jumoer back to it's original position......that should reset the bios........or you could stand on one foot and spin 12.75 times....and then take the battery out while the power is off(both of these methods should be done while power is off) then yell at the top of your lungs " I AM A CHEESE PUFF" then return the batery...again this should reset your bios :D...good luck and remember these steps sound insane but are required for the method to work

***********************NOTE***********************

If you are a Cheese Puff please take no offense to the aformentioned article :D

I guess your point is it is not a science getting the computer to work again?

o no I didn't mean to be rude..it was just really early when I posted that.....but it really isn't to tuff......but there are alot of people who didn't know about that....thats why we are here:D......tell me how it goes.....if that doesn't do it I will be sure to assist you further.....if it does I would really like to know :D....good luck:)

No amount of dancing or chanting seem to be helping. I still get the siren after multiple attemps with the bios jumper, removing the battery, holding insert...what now?

Ok here is what I would do.....I would take out the mobo and place it on a nonconductive area and test to see if maybe you case is causing problems....I know that sounds wierd but it happend to me......I ended up having to place a plastic folder between my mobo and my case.....the reason it started doing this I have no clue......well maybe it was cause of that huge spark I cause hehe ;)....but try that.....and tell me how it goes :D

I know how it feels, my Epox 8RDA+ just died, just could not boot at all, during a failed overclock , do what he suggested, barebones without case and as always
with these Nforce2 MB pray a lot, maybe your bios is toast:D

Yeah, I did it with the power off. I just got off the phone with abit tech support (english is definately a second language there) and they said it is either the cpu or the board. I guess I have to do more testing...damnit

so you try taken it outa the case?....and yeah it is most surely a second language:D

It is pretty much narrowed down to the motherboard. I tried a duron 700 in it and it wouldn't start up. There was no alarm with the duron (i'm guessing because it doesn't have a thermal diode) but it still wouldn't power up. I still get the alarm with the 2100+.

Yes, I have it out of the case.

I have tried it with 2 power supplies. I get the alarm with the (brand new) tp 480, but not with an OLD (but working) 235watt PS. With the 235, the red light comes on, and the green light flashes when I hit the power button. The same thing happens when I use the 480, but then I get the alarm. Both supplies work fine with another motherboard.

I think an RMA is the answer, unless someone has some magical cure.

Last edited:
Well about English English, I think we should just get used to strange accents and stop whinning, those people know what they are doing, maybe they cant find smart, techno, English speakers to fill the posts, its like the HP and Dells going to India to get cheap labour. I hate it, I would rather they stay here but hey, they gotta make a profit too. Its only sad when the poor technician dont understand your Q, but I dont mind the accent, its part of the beloved "Globalization" we have come to so much love.....

I didn't notice anyone WHINING about it. I made a simple comment, perhaps you read alittle too much into it. ABIT, on their own website, mention that most of their tech support people are not native english speakers.

Was I bothered by the fact I couldn't understand some of what he said? Not really.
Was our ability to communicate reduced because he did not speak English well? YES.
Was I able to accomplish what I needed to in the call? yes (though he wasn't very helpful because I had already done everything he suggested, so he could have been speaking in russian and it wouldn't have mattered).

You sound like Donald Rumsfield...

I'll take that as a compliment.

BTW - I got my RMA number, about 3 hours after requesting the eRMA on the abit website.

Well...everything seemed to be going fine the RMA. BUT…

It seems they are good and fast ISSUEING the RMA. Not so good acting on it. I requested (and paid for) a cross ship and upgraded (2nd day) shipping as soon as I got my RMA number. I did this at about 3pm pacific, August 11th. On the 13th I get a call from Abit telling me I have an outstanding balance of $172 ($150 deposit, $15 shipping, and $7 cross-ship handling fee). I explain that I paid it and gave them the PayPal transaction information. She also asks the revision number, I tell her. The next day I get ANOTHER call, which seemed strange because I assumed it should have shipped already, asking me the revision again, again I tell them v.2.0. I am told it will ship that day. This bothers me a bit as I expected to have the replacement by Friday, August 15, but Monday seemed good enough, the blackout would have messed up the shipment anyway, but that's beside the point. Later that night (after the power came back on) I get an email from UPS with my tracking information, here's the problem, it SHIPPED GROUND! This is a major inconvenience since I live in NY and they are in California, meaning 6 days transit time instead of the 2 I paid for.

So, today I call them to see what they can do about this glaring error. After some checking I am told that they did in fact ship it incorrectly, which was no revelation to me. He offers to refund the shipping, which is nice, but doesn’t get me the board any faster. As one last thing I asked how long it would take them to mail my refund. He says one to two weeks; this seems absurd to me, so I ask if it would be ONE or if it would be TWO weeks. He isn’t sure; seemingly he just made up the one to two week timeframe. So I asked him if he could find out how long it would REALLY take so I would know when to call back to complain again. He comes back and says they would mail the check Monday, apparently sensing my rising ire. If that happens I will probably get the check before I get the replacement board.

Needless to say I am VERY unimpressed with Abit. Perhaps this lack of attention to detail is an institutional problem, not just affecting RMA but their engineers and manufacturing as well. Could this be why the siren problem is fairly common to NF7 boards? This is the first Abit product I own, and will defiantly be the last. In the end it will be 12+ days without my desktop functioning because A) Abit can't make a reliable motherboard and B) they don't know the difference between GROUND and 2nd Day shipping. And this is assuming UPS doesn't 'mis-route' another of my packages. And who's to say the replacement board won't do the same damn thing in a month...

BTW - I'm not saying no abit boards are reliable, but obviously they have some quality control issues since there are many treads here and on the official abit forum describing EXACTLY the same problem. So I didn't just get a unique bad board. You have to figure this is their 4th try at the NF7 (1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 2.0) and they have obviously not ironed out all the problems yet. Most companies get it pretty close to right on their first try, or at least the second.

Last edited:
sorry you have to go along with this staff I just installed my first Abit NF7 2.0 and I just hope nothing happens like this.....sorry man:cry:

Back