• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Ram type

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ad Rock

Best Ram for AMD

I have decided to upgrade the core of my computer this summer (mobo/CPU/RAM). I purchased a JIUHB 1700+ chipset and ordered an ABIT NF7-S mobo. Now to my question, is it better to get Ram with a higher speed such as the CORSAIR TWINX512-3700 PC3700 2X256MB DDR 3-4-4-8 (277 Can) or RAM with tighter timings CORSAIR TWINX512-2700LL PC2700 2X256MB DDR 2-2-2 (250 Can). From what I understand the higher bus speeds benefit Intel more and the tighter timings benefit AMD more. I have been reading some different things and was just wondering what your opinions on the matter is?

Last edited:
ill take a shot. i think AMDs benefit from tighter timings because they simply cannot acheive the high fsb that the 200mhz p4's can.
this is just my guess.
IF thats the case, i believe mushkin has some very nice tightly timed memory , but it aint cheap (like me :p )
best of luck!
(and keep in mind im guessing, i run intel :p )

P4 boards do better with higher FSB speeds and ram timings make much less of a difference. On AMD systems the higher you can get your fsb with tighter timings the better things will run. If you have amd get some Corsairs pc3200 or some OCZ pc3200EL or 3500EL. Either will run great. Also you should know that most AMD systems will not run much over 233Mhz so overclocking some pc3200 or 3500 will be your best shot both price and performance wise.

Steve

Back