• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats better when set to the same noise level, Aero 7+ or slk 800/sk7?? and 120mm?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aihyah

Whats better when set to the same noise level, Aero 7+ or slk 800/sk7?? and 120mm?

right now i'm trying to silence the pc. the slk/sk would have their fans running kinda slow, like a panaflo i guess. i wonder how this would compare to an aero 7+ at the same noise level, which is probably around slighlty less then 50% speed i'm guessing.

also, is there a way to get 92-120mm on the slk/sk7? obviously not an option for the aero.

i'm running a xp 1800+ @2.35ghz 1.69v

Not quite. Even in that review, the SK7 is consistently around 3°C lower. Hitechjb1 shows just what that difference translates to in reality, and shows that its actually not very much in regards to overclockability. Either one is an excellent choice, but the SLK may give you the last 50-100mhz left in your processor. That's where the slightly lower temps show their advantage; when the processor is pushed to its limits.

Have you looked at any Zalman heatsinks? The copper flower design is damn near silent on one of out PCs.

The CNPS6000Cu goes for around £30 in the UK, and the AlCu version slightly less.

EH? Those results for 12V suggest that the Zalman is worse than my stock HSF! Now that I refuse to believe.

Something screwy here - be back later after I read the whole review

Ok found that they removed and replaced the heatsinks lots. I know for a fact that the 6000's clip is a bit weedy and I bet that if you tip my dad's computer on it's end the HS will fall off. But, with his system and using Sisoft Sandra's CPU burn in wizard, it gave a thermal resistance of ~0.23C/W, which is less than half the value they suggest. The fan speed was at about 1800RPM at the time with no case fans (case temp was like 39C lol). Even with the inaccuracies of the test, I refuse to believe that the 6000 has a thermal resistance worse than that of the stock HSF that comes with AMD procs.

The review looks rather nicely done to me; its results seem quite accurate. I'd find it a lot harder to believe that it could give a thermal resistance of .23 C/W in any system- this is performance delievered by an SLK800 with a Tornado. The 6000Cu does decently with more airflow, as you can see with those results themselves and a Sanyo 12V fan. It gets a reasonable .38 C/W, but still nowhere nearly enough for high-level overclocking. As a comparison point, the far superior CNPS7000Cu has a thermal resistance of .32 C/W; the 6000 Cu will be worse than this. Regardless of whether you want high noise levels, or low noise levels, the SLK/ SK series is the way to go.

Whoops my bad just found out that the crummy motherboard with which we tested the 6000 only has under-socket thermal monitoring :rolleyes: now if I can just switch the CPUs over in my machine and his....

Anyway assuming worst-case for all of these temperatures:

The max temp reached was about 53C, so assuming there is a 3-5C difference between die temp and CPU socket (mine is anyway)

Instead of 53C 39C case we have 58C 39C case. Do the maths (core power 60W nominal) and we have 0.32C/W - still better'n the test they did, and the HSF was on low speed.

Pfft I am off on a tangent - Thermalright make good heatsinks and you probably can't go wrong with them.

RobP4P said:
my 40cm panaflo keeps my 2.315ghz barton at 42-44C idle 55C load w/sk-7 and 32C case temps

40cm?? they make fans over a foot in diameter?

that would be a strange mod lol:)

yea, right now i'm getting 42~C if i run my pos xdream 80mm at 4000+rpm. thats very annoying sounding.

I used a Vantec Aeroflow and it worked well with low noise on a Barton that naturally ran hot.

Check it out.

ok, i got the slk 800 and zalman 92 installed:) it doesn't really overhang much at all. the fins just reach the end of the heatsink on the long sides. wow that zalman is quiet, even without the resistor installed. i use my fan controller instead but i can't hear the thing over my vantec stealth case fans at max, go figure:p

anyhow, not bad, it hasn't burned in yet and i'm just using the compound that came with the heatsink, 42c full load. and silent. my previous dream-x could only get that at screaming loud 4500 rpm. :) very sweet:)

cheesy showoff pics :)

and from what i've read about the aero, its ok for non overclocked, but increasing its cooling makes that fan really loud.

now testing at 2.4ghz:)

*fixed

Last edited:
its not a barton, its an 1800+ from frys combo. its probably not running at its potential yet considernig what other people get this chip to do. i'll tweak later:) only 1.69v so far. if i go farther its gotta go up.

LoL - that fan is just too ghetto hahaha - I bet you get good cooling though - try making a duct for it so you can have all the airflow go on the heatsink

Back