• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Val155

How do I properly install Windows XP Home Edition (FULL VERSION)? I currently have WIndows 98 SE running on my system.

Can i just format the C: drive then FDISK it? Someone told me to not select a FAT32 partion but some other partion begining with a "N" (can't think of the name) instead. Would this be better?

Intel P4 2.6 GHZ
Asus P4P800-VM
WD 80Gb Hard Drive
Geforce 4 TI 4400 128 MB
1GB Crucial PC3200

Very easy.

Pop the XP disc in your CD-ROM drive, and it will either autoplay, and run setup, or if you explore the disc contents and run "setup.exe"

During the setup, it will ask you a few straightforward questions, like where you want to install XP to (if you have more than one partition), and if you want to convert your drive(s) to NTFS (a more secure, and some say slightly "faster" file system than FAT32.

I suggest you install XP to your C drive, and convert to NTFS. It will also ask if you want to upgrade or do a fresh install. Fresh is best:)

You don't need to format, FDISK, or run any other tools, just pop the disc in, and go.

WOW!!! Really!! No format/Fdisk? Back in the day, that was required...

Let me get this straight...just boot up my PC tonight, pop in the disk...let auto run go and click install??????? I can do this even though I bought the FULL VERSION and not the UPGRADE??

Yes, I believe it will upgrade but the following is the best way to install XP.
If you run multiple hard drives, I recommend pulling the power plug (disabling them) on all but the drive you wish to install XP on.

Shut down your computer. Press the power switch to turn the system back on and directly after continuously press the delete (F1 or F10 depending on your system) key to get into the BIOS.
Select “Advanced BIOS Features” (use arrow keys to highlight, press Enter).
Change the boot order to boot to CDROM first and then to HDD-0 second.
Then press F10 to save and exit (put the XP CD in before you exit).
After the reboot, press any key to boot to CDROM, and the XP setup should start.
When prompted, press enter to install XP. It will highlight your previously installed O.S. or partition. Delete all partitions shown and then create a new one. The XP setup will ask what type of file system format you would like to use (Fat32 or NTFS). The choice is yours but the popular and more stable format is NTFS. It will then show you the size of the partition (usually the size of your hard drive), format the partition (erasing the old O.S in the process), and installs a fresh copy of XP. The XP setup may reboot the computer several times. There is no need to press any key to boot to CD during this process. After it’s all done, you can reboot, get back in the BIOS and set the boot order back the way it was. I usually set the first boot device to HDD-0 and disable the rest.
Go here for a more detailed description: http://www.cyberwalker.net/columns/aug02/010802.html
Good luck!

with the full version of xp, you have more flexibility than you do with the upgrade version.

If you want to wipe everything off of the win98 drive, just restart pc, pop the cd in before it boots pass bios, and install from there.
Just format to ntfs preferably ( ntfs stands for New Technology File System ).

You could upgrade once your in windows from 98, but i dont recommend upgrades unless you got files and stuff you need to keep, ( wich id just burn a copy of them to disk first anyway ).

Back