• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slk-800(A) moving on CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gangrelorn

Registered
Using AS3 and the heatsink is sliping around on the cpu.
I lapped it which made no change.
Not using a lot of AS3 either. Temps are fine too

Thank you in advance for yout time :)

:) The heat sink is slipping around was wondering if that is normal?
Seems odd to me, but this is the first time I have used AS3 and the slk-800a

If you are using the socket-clamps instead of bolt-down screws, slippage is normal. If you bolted it down and it still moves, I would probably break into a crying fit of 2-year old (or 80 year old, whichever) quality. It also depends on how much slipping is going on. Also, would you describe the slipping to be like... nascar oil-slick slippery... or merely old-lady icy sidewalk slippery? Okay, that wasn't necessary... but...

As long as you feel decent pressure on the die, and your temps are fine... slippage is normal. Just don't keep doing it or your AS3 won't cure properly. In fact, you might want to apply a new layer just in case you 'slipped' it off.

Guess I'll reseat it and put a fresh coat of AS3 on it. Was strange being able to move the heat sink around. Thank you for your time :)

I've always been able to wiggle mine around a bit, including slight rotation. Of course, I redid the whole TIM joint after moving it around.

yea what method are you using? on my 900 using the spring screws, i cannot move it at all. I just flex the fins.

Yeah, but you have bolt-down. These are (A) socket clips.

Back