• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new nf7-s rev2 user!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cujo

just bought this baby yesterday to replace my crappy K7N2 Delta-L. i had nothin but instablility with other board. couldn't run at 200x11 stable. now prime95 has gone about 14 hours at 200x11 with this board. i love it.

but now i'm hungry for more. the manual that came with my board really stinks. it's missing many things that are in the bios like thermal-throttling and that cpu shutdown. not sure what any of that is or what it does for overclocking but i'd like to know. does anyone know of a good bios setup guide for this mobo? possibly a place where i can find detailed descriptions for some of these features.

good choice of board, cujo...
disable all that in bios that has to do with cpu related stuff.
In the mem timings, disable everything *Spread Spectrum, system/video cacheable, enhance pci perf, and set agp size to 128m.

disable cpu shutdown and shutdown cpufan fail for now, until you've reached your disered goal of OC your cpu.

do some testing with your Ram modules, I'm not to familiar with Mushkin's Hi-Perf... but, once you've notice some instablility, after passing the 200FSB mark, then check your chipset voltage to 1.7v and see if that helps you out more.

how much will chipset voltage help? it seems i can't go past 200x11 with much stabilty (in prime95 anyway) even with upped ram and cpu voltage. my chipset is at default i believe of 1.6 and the hsf almost feels cold to the touch. i can't run at 200x11.5 and pass prime95 for more than a minute or 2 even if i raise vcore from 1.65 to 1.75 but i can pass prime95 for 40 minutes at 200x11 with default vcore. raising doesn't help it last longer either.

i've got a new xp2500 on the way cause i've got a buyer for this one. it should be a newer stepping so i'll just hold off until i get it.

cujo said:
how much will chipset voltage help? it seems i can't go past 200x11 with much stabilty (in prime95 anyway) even with upped ram and cpu voltage. my chipset is at default i believe of 1.6 and the hsf almost feels cold to the touch. i can't run at 200x11.5 and pass prime95 for more than a minute or 2 even if i raise vcore from 1.65 to 1.75 but i can pass prime95 for 40 minutes at 200x11 with default vcore. raising doesn't help it last longer either.

i've got a new xp2500 on the way cause i've got a buyer for this one. it should be a newer stepping so i'll just hold off until i get it.

The chipset voltage should help enormously, unless you already have a very low signal to noise ration, which I doubt. You will be fine upping the voltage to the max becuz the nf7-s uses active cooling. If you want to know if it is the cpu holding you back simply lower the multiplier and hike the fsb up. Then go to like a 4/5 RAM/CPU ratio to make sure it is not the ram, and see what happens. G/L

Back