• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Remote Procedure Call?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreamtfk

Ok as of yesterday I keep receiving an error that shuts down the system. An error screen pops up with a timer saying the system will shut down in one minute. The reason it says is that "Windows Must Restart Because The Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Service Terminated Unexpectedly"

Has anyone experienced this error before? Should I boot to the WindowsXP cd and use the repair function?

I just started getting this message yesterday as well. Im glad to see Im not the only one. I was coming on here to post about it, but then this post was at the top of the list. Kinda odd, in a good way. :)

Hope the patch works.

*edit*

Also, I seen in the services menu where you can select the action you want the computer to take after the RPC fails. If I set that to "Take No Action", instead of having it restart the computer, what would happen?

Whats the difference between 32 and 64 bit WinXP? How do I tell what I have?

Last edited:
I also started getting this problem today and was going to post, but found this thread straight away, saved me time and I downloaded the patch from the link thefly posted and it seems to be working as I was getting cut off every 5 mins or so only just managed to download it in time :D as for 32/64 I did not know the answer to that so looked in sis sandra and everthing there seemed to be 32 so took a chance and as I said seems ok so far hope that helps, many thanks to thefly.

seren said:
and it seems to be working as I was getting cut off every 5 mins or so only just managed to download it in time :D as for 32/64 I did not know the answer to that so looked in sis sandra and everthing there seemed to be 32 so took a chance and as I said seems ok so far hope that helps, many thanks to thefly. [/B]

Lol I had to do the same thing it seems to be working so far. This looks like an epidemic for Windows users, thx alot Microsh*t

Fantastic timing on this thread!
I just got a phone call from a guy I used to work for: he said his pc is hosed and needs me to fix it :D

RPC and shutdown is the problem.

Question: I do NOT run XP nor have I hit this problem- is it possible to start in "safe" mode and install this patch without a reboot?

this happened to me about 2 months ago. made me format my system and think that someone hacked my computer for about a month. I am just now getting back online after having my confidence shattered. Glad to see there is a fix other than reinstalling :)

all u gotta do is disconnect ur modem/router from teh net, wack it into firewall mode (XP) and it wont reboot....Then install the patch after u download it reboot free and remove teh firewall EASY! and im going to make a revolve to this problem right now in a main post

What seems weird to me, is that I completely reformatted on Saturday, and then on Sunday I started having the problem.

Just a follow up to these postings, Im not sure if it's even relevent but, on my computer ( brand new install), msblast.exe is trying to acess the 'net on port 135, my firewall shows it is a "known malicious file". I havent installed anything beyond AIM messenger, and a firewall prog.

C

Follow up post:

removal of this pita virus form my old boss's computer seems to be successful. :)

Thank you to those who started this thread and posted info in it!

I have, of course, spent most of the last 3 hours on the phone with the poor SOB- pretty much a computer neophyte- getting his machine straight....but the active virus is gone and he is getting his anti-virus updated so he can do a full scan now.

Here also is a LINK to the specific variant he was infected with.

i had this thing happen to me yesterday too...but i let teh comp reboot and then it said i needed to put in teh win xp cd to copy some files...now when i shutdown or reboot i get a BSOD or my windows freezes on the windows XP status bar, when windows is loading... now the only way to get into normal mod is if i let teh comp BSOD then let it reboot and i choose run in safemode with networking, then i shutdown from that and turn back on teh comp and have it load normally...if i try to restart from normal mode i get a BSOD when windows is loading....i DLed the updates and teh shutdown thing stopped...but now my comp doesnt work right...also i noticed that the comp isnt shutting down correctly...if i clik shutdown it doesnt turn off teh comp...it reboots teh comp...so im guessing at teh end of shutdown something is wrong and doesnt shutdown completely... plz help...

Back