• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pc2100@200 Mhz/a7n8x Dlx/2600+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sangram

Who would've thought it possible?

I'm running el-cheapo 7 ns Hynix DDR (see sig - I'm not gonna put my new speeds until I can confirm full stability), at a whopping 200 FSB. No stress testing done to confirm stability, just the first 10% of memtest86 to confirm that windows wouldn't bork on me.

I started small - my frst try was 170, second was 175, and the third time I just pushed it straight to 200. Couldn't resist. The time between hitting the 'y' key in Bios, to the beep, was the longest 5 seconds of my life, I tell you!!

Happy to say, all stable so far - haven't yet played any games. Unfortunately the timings are very loose as of now - I'm not taking any chances. I've also upped vDimm to 2.7 from the default 2.6.

The memory is running at 3-4-4-11, not really a speed demon but I've not yet risked it all - learning as I go. I bumped the multi on the CPU now down to 11, so it's running at 2200 MHz, so a slight OC on that too, and it's nice and cool at idle (I count surfing and the ocforums as idle, for the pc atleast). as I said no load testing but while running mtest it seems not to be generating any extra heat - stock voltage and HSF, that too!!!

Tomorrow night if I get back from work early I'm gonna try push her down to 2.5 CAS and see how that goes - not too optimistic as the mem didn't mind running at 166 but didn't boot with CAS 2 at all, and adding vDimm didn't seem to help....

I'd be ultra-happy if she remained @200 FSB at 2.5-3-3-something, though I'm not sure that's realistic...

More, later.

<-- thinks its possible.
<-- has some generic azz pc2100 that hits 190 fsb stable.
<-- almost exact same timings , too. 3, 4,4, 8.

congrats!

Thanks

I played games, it's completely stable, but maybe I need to work on everything a little more. It's benching very well, memory scores in the upper 2900s, but in some games I can make out a bit of hesitation at times. May be a burn-in issue too, I'll see how it goes for a couple a days, but my gut feel is it's the lax timing that's causing it, or it could be one of those 'more voltage to the nb/sb/better cooling for chipset' thingies.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Hit 215, Prime stable, smooth gaming (Except when MBM5 is polling CPU - switching MBM5 off is butter-smooth), and 2.8 Volts on mem, stock vCore.

What amazes me is that I've dissed hardware available in India for a long time, and specially Hynix RAM. This forces me to open my eyes. Unfortunately they don't sell PC3200/3500 etc. Only uptil PC2700, and that is Kingston ValueRAM - and we all know how good THAT is.

well, after saying to hell with it, i upped my fsb to 180... x 11.5, with vcore of 1.65 and vdimm at 2.7, timings 3-4-4-11. not a huge increase in 3dmark01 though @ 11146. still, seems stable. i'll loop 3dmark when i crash and run prime etc. maybe i can tweak the timings a bit further, but at this point i'm just plain shocked too. strange how when i was trying to get it to run stable @ 166 it was not cooperating, then this. then again i probably was trying to run timings too tight. oh well, still need some faster ram...

you got it up to 215fsb? :rolleyes:

Yup, 215 fully stable - not Prime95 stable though, I need better cooling than the stock HSF - Though gaming temps are OK Prime95 errors out after 3-5 tests (torture tests) and temps have hit 70C or so.

Until better HSF arrives I am stuck at 215, I'll go for 220 though I don't have vDimm reserve left so I don't know if I'll get there, though 217 (PC3500) seems attainable.

running mine right now at 183fsb, 2.7v, timings of 3-4-4-9. ran memtest86 for a few hours, prime passes, 3dmark, and multiple other tests. i'm happy where i got with it, but there is still more room i think.

That Crucial you've got would be older than my memory, so I guess it's not a bad result at all. I just wish I was 100% stable, including prime, but I'm not in a mood to back down.

183 also is a great OC for PC2100, I know I would love it if I had reached there. Now I'm not happy, just plain ecstasic, getting PC3500 speed out of PC2100 must be the ticket!!

Back