• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLK-900 + 80mm Smart Fan 2 or 92mm Tornado

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

7h3r4py

Before anyone says this has been asked before I did a search and could not find anything specific about the 92mm Tornado.

Originally I was getting a SLK-800 and I had decided on the Smart Fan 2 over the 80mm Tornado because someone said at the same noise level the Smart Fan 2 will move more air.

But now I have the option of a 92mm fan I was wondering if the 92mm Tornado was a better choice. I know it is loud but what I was wondering was if I slowed the 92mm Tornado down to the same noise level as the Smart Fan 2 when it is set to max, which will move the most air? Will it be the 92mm Tornado because it is bigger and has a greater cfm to begin with? I am unsure because of the size difference with the fans, that is what is confusing me.

You may say if I am slowing the 92mm Tornado down why not just buy the Smart Fan 2? Well I still want the option of turning it right up for 119cfm and to deafen people but the majority of the time it will be slowed. So if it will still be real loud when slowed or if it wont move much air when at a reasonable sound level I will go with the Smart Fan 2.

This is bugging me and I know you will all be groaning at another "which fan" thread but I want to be sure. I am so about to say screw it and buy both lol.

I have a 92 tornado and it is loud. I use a rheostat to control the speed. I find it less irritating than the smart fan turned up full speed.

well i believe the tornado has more power. but the smart fan already has a built in rheostat thingy. smart fan 2 only costs 8.50 shipped to your house from bestbyte

I personally could not stand the tornado even at half speed. I finally went with a Panaflo High Output. Gives me 57cfm and has lower db than my 80mm case fans.

7h3r4py said:

But does it still cool as well?

No. You will get better performance out of the Smart Fan II at full speed than with the 92mm Tornado at 5V(this is the lowest it can handle) and the Smart Fan II will still be quieter.

The deal is that they will push the same amount of air, but the 80mm fan will push it harder than the 92mm will, therefore, better static pressure, which is an additional factor that should be considered in here as well.

I just realised the 92mm Tornado requires something like 10 million watts and my fan controller can't handle that so Smart Fan 2 it is.

Back