• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Necus Fan Controller

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nippledonkey

Registered
I was thinking of getting the Vantec NXP-205 fan controller to quiet down the 92mm Tornado I have on my HS. Has anyone out there tried this or using a fan controller for the fan on their processor?

It won't woprk with your tornado!!!! I am not sure why, but I think it has to do with the power or something. I have read multiplt threads that say this. I have one and works with my Smart Fan 2, but i won't work with a tornado!

huh? why won't it work? i rigged my 92mm tornado up to my Nexus 5 1/4 bay with the big dial, and the usb and the firewire. i cut the wires, stripped them, and spliced them together on a 3 pin connector so i could have rpm monitoring and so the nexus wouldn't be beeping at me. works fine, and i can change the fan speeds too

I thought it wouldn't work becasue the Tornado draws more current than the Nexus can provide, and it overheats the nexus. Check the Tornado's amperage draw, then check the Nexus's amperage.

The Tornado's Rated Current 1.0 Amp.
The NXP-205's Output Current: Up to 1.5A

So I guess this should be ok....

Keep in mind that the Nexus' minimum voltage is 7v; a 92mm Tornado at 7v is still a bit noisy (definitely not silent). In the future I might change out my Nexus for another controller that can do 0-12v instead of 7-12v, provided the Tornado can work with less than 7v.

I have an 80mm Tornado that starts and runs at 5V. It is by no means quiet at that voltage, although it is a massive improvement over the 12V...

Sunbeam fan controllers go from 0 to 12V, but the LEDs will blind you because they are so bright.

It will run fine on your nexus. If I'm not mistaken, though, it uses 3-pin connections to regulate the fans. You'd need to modify your fan if this is the case. However, I have to stress that if you plan on quieting your Tornado down, especially to 7V, the Smart Fan II will give you much better performance than the Tornado, and is quieter at full speed than the tornado at 7V, even 5V.

Maybe I am thinking of the wrong controller....wait I am. :bang head Sorry bout the wrong advice....but I swear there is some controller that won't work with a tornado...damn I feel about dumb right now!!!!

there is a huge thread here somewhere with ppl having problems with the nexus ..I have one but I thought its the 201 model...anyways gotta look at model when i get home..i have a tornado on my cpu that i just upgraded to and now with the tornado on channel 1 . when its on about 1\3 of the way up and I lower channel 4 the tornado speeds up..lol

Back