• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a lower CPU temp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

imgod2u

So, I put together a P4C setup a few weeks ago. I have it oced to 3.0 GHz and it seems to run well, however, it is pretty hot.

Here's the setup:

1. Enermax CS-3171L-S3A case.
2. Intel Pentium 4 2.4 GHz C stepping retail.
3. Thermalright SLK-900u.
4. Zalman 92mm 3000 rpm case fan (used this one on the CPU).
5. Abit IS7 with BIOS 1.5
6. 1 120mm Vantec Stealth case fan (intake).
7. Enermax EG465-VE (FC) PSU.
8. Geil Platinum PC3500 dual pair DDR SDRAM 2x512MB.
9. Leadtek Geforce 4 Ti4200.
10. 2x Panaflo 80mm silent case fans (exhaust).
11. 1x 80mm side panel fan (intake).
12. Top blowhole with 80mm PCToys silent case fan.
13. AS3 lapped the heatsink and applied a think layer to the processor and spread it out with a rasorblade.

Despite all of this, at 3.0 GHz, I'm still getting an idle temperature of 50C (full load gets around 63C). There's gotta be something wrong. I've applied the AS3 (cleaned with alcohol each time) several times, trying my best to follow the instructions on AS3's website. However, I can't seem to bring my temperature down. Anyone have any ideas?

Try varying the amount of grease you use. Use saran wrap around your finger and just kinda buff it into the die. That works well for me. What grit did you lap the heatsink too? How many CFMS is your fan on the CPU? Make sure it is at least 40CFM

well...considering you're overclocking 600 Mhz, thats a pretty dandy temperature. I run a 2.8C un-OCed with ASCeramique, and it idles at 36, and it loads(torturetest) at 53. Try just OCing a little less.

Those temps are a little high. My SLK900U with a Panaflo 92mm 57cfm fan only hits 49C with spikes up to 51C under full load. Load being 2 instances of Prime95.

You have a lot of fans but do you have good air flow. Add up the cfm in vs the cfm out. They should be about the same. I prefer to have a few cfm more on the output so there is no warmer air lingering in the case.

You should have plenty of cfm on the sink. That Zalman should be over 50cfm @ 3000rpm. You do have the fan blowing into the sink and not pulling air out, right?

I have the fan blowing on the heatsink. The heatsink seems a bit warm to the touch but nowhere near 50C that is reported by MBM. As for the intake. I have a Vantec Steath 120mm intake (not sure about the CFM) and an 80mm side panel fan intake (again, not sure about the CFM). The thing is, the 120mm fan is blowing directly on my 2 SATA drives (to cool them). I was considering buying another 5" bay-loaded fan. What do you guys think?

Back