• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Number of memtest passes?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jmail999

Registered
How many memtest86 passes are necessary to determine whether or not there is a problem?

BTW: I'm using WinXP Pro

There's no hard and fast rule. I usually do about 6 for a major upgrade/install, then about 3 for minor settings tweaks after that.

One pass should be enough to reveal whether or not your memory actually works at a particular speed. But if it's on the edge of stability you'll want to do several passes (with your case closed) to determine how much heat affects it.

If there is a real problem (meaning you have a bad stick) you will know right away (one pass). I got over 97,000 errors on a bad stick of Corsair a few weeks ago.

If you have errors due to overclocking, more are neccesarry. I would stick with 5 or 6 passes to be sure.

You should also run all 11 tests and not just the default. Go into the config and select all tests. It takes a little longer but if there is a mem problem it will show up. I have many times passed the default only to get errors when running all 11.

It once ran 3-4 hours before finding errors in a K-byte module of mine, but www.goldmemory.cz found them in a couple of minutes (one pass took only 25 minutes). I also found that MemTest86's cached tests were a lot more likely than the noncached tests to find errors. With some other modules, MemTest86 found tons of errors, but DocMem found zero.

Back